1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a video/dvd to teach the basics of plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Zack1978, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

Hi everyone,
    I am basically new to plowing, I have played with the plow for the last year or so, but I am not great. I have a 79 Toyota short bed with a Fisher plow. I have no desire to make any money from plowing, I just want the skill to do driveways, etc. I don't know anything about plowing in front of a garage etc. I know that I can't "backblade" well with my plow set-up. But is there a video to teach the basics of plowing? Or does anyone have good tips on how to plow well?

Thanks,
    Zack

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

The boss website has a bunch of plowing tips on it....i have never seen or heard of a "how to plow" video, i bet it would be kinda funny to watch. Honestly though, the best way to learn is by doing it, screwing up, and learning from it!

-mike-

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree, nothing like figuring out how hard to hit a pile by having to shovel yourself out of it.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

videos, ...

lots on u tube... just type in snowplowing and watch.....

just ge out there and do it...

5. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

Yeah, once you have to dig yourself out of a huge pile then you know not to do that again. The key is get enough speed to roll the snow then judge from there if you can go faster. But once you hit an obstruction and your plow jumps 18 inches off the ground, you tend to slow down. All the preseason prep in the world won't get those gremlins that pop up unannounced. Frost is amazing at screwing up all of your plans.:realmad:

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yes there is a video and course. SIMA offers the CSP certification. www.snowbusiness.net

that said, i am not a member of sima, i learned by example(went with a buddy a bunch of times, then first year subbed for him).

funny thing is it seems every year the first plow or two you have to "remember" how to plow:D -oooh look at the perty grass rolling up over the plow -lol

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

8. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

This is only My 2nd yeear plowing..Last year i had a lot of trouble back dragging.found PLOWSITE this year and posted a Thread on how to back Drag..got a lot of tips... then the last 2 storms this year i put what i read into practice..saved me time and the headaches over last year..Seems to me you never learn from watching..you need to try it..so if your having trouble with some aspect of plowing..ask for help..or do a search on the topic and read..wait for snow and try it for yourself..