1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a tailgate spreader use bulk salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DodgeRam1996, Jan 7, 2010.

1. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

Is there a tailgate spreader that can use bulk salt?

or the salt/sand mix that hoppers run?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Our Snowex 1875 with auger and vibrator works well. BUT the salt must be kept perfectly dry in cold indoor storage. No exposure to outside moisture. You can't just go to your local bulk dealer that just throws a tarp over the top . In a dry building. We get our bulk salt directly from the mine (2 hours away), dropped on our door step and loaded that day into the building.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My Westen 1000 will spread it if it is dry or just a little wet
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My Western ProFlo2 handles bulk every day no problem. Last year we ran out of salt around here so I was forced to spread wet sand/salt, again no problem.

You need a two-stage machine or a really good vibrator.
  5. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Airflow SS

Derek, I had a Pro Flow 2 once and the salt would sometimes bridge in the unit.
  6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I would almost be bold enough to say that any two stage will handle bulk and mixes. I know from experience the Air-flo MSS does both, and even wet bulk was never a problem.
  7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

snow ex 1075 does
  8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The only time I get any bridging is when I leave a load in the spreader too long... otherwise its never a problem for me.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Yes my Snowex Mini-Pro 575 will and does. My salt is stored under a lean-to covered with a tarp works just fine even with out a vibrator. Don't get me wrong it would throw bagged salt better, however I spend a third on bulk than what I would pay for bagged salt.