1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a stainless blade that will fit my half ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Sep 24, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Is there a stainless blade that will fit my half ton?

2. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I think there is a 7.5 Fishdogg you can cobbel -up.

3. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Snow dogg has a straight blade and a vee for half ton both stainless

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your actually gunna buy a plow instead of trying to make one?

5. birddseedd

My plow made money. Paid for my truck. And kept my business going. It's nothing to scoff at

6. dieselss

But how many times did you
    A) go out and plow
    B) have something break
    C) always complain that something wasn't working right in both your truck and plow?

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

As many times as anyone else. Stuff happens new or old.

8. birddseedd

It gave me a start. It got me from nothing, to the point where I can seriously consider even the option of a new plow. That part i cannot complain about.

Snowdogg looks to be a great option. 8'. Stainless steel. but i have two questions

1, it seems they did not make a back drag edge for the 8' md model. It only lists one for the 6.5' model (md). This seems a bit odd, but other areas of their website seem to be lacking.

2. I'm not a fan of only 2 springs. It seems any plow designed for a 1/2 ton only has 2 springs. I cant get by with 2 springs. it just trips so dang easy. What i worry about with this (and with my box extensions) is voiding the short 2 year warranty if i add 2 springs and a shock absorber.

9. dieselss

As many as anyone else.....what are you basing that on? By region that cannot be correct
    Yes stuff does happen new or old....correct. but when your welded on plow mount breaks b/c you cannot weld in the first place. That's asking fot it

10. birddseedd

course he brings up the one and only part of my plow (or anything else for that matter) that i have welded that hasn't lasted.

Why are you trying to start this drama over again? I asked 2 questions above. answer them or go away

11. dieselss

Me drama. No that's u birdie
    Yep I bring that up to prove a point.
    And didn't we try and help you with your cable control and you didnt want to listen.
    You ask for help all the time and then not take it or go on for pages...then in the end say your not going to do it anyway
    Ok why do you feel you need more trip springs?

12. birddseedd

With 2 new trip springs it seemed that any plow i backed over pulling snow out of a drive would trip the blade effortlessly. It would not actually scrape up the snow. I would have to go back and forward one inch at a time. It would jsut trip and go over the snow.

With 4 springs it would still trip if i hit anything unmovable, but when going over the packed snow the blade tiped forward a bit, but would still scrape up the snow

13. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

I have one snow dogg. Ex75. Got it 3 years old, installed for $2500 on a k2500. The guy before me, who was once a blizzard dealer and installed hundreds of plows, had it on a full sized blazer. Of course he agreed it was a little to heavy for that application because of ballast, it worked and nothing broke in three seasons.

no experience with it but i would think it would be safe to say the md would probably be fine for residential and small commercial.

14. birddseedd

There are a couple good deals used right now

15. dieselss

That's not tripping if I'm understanding you properly.
    If there has been compacted snow already (i.e. tire tracks from you or someone driving through snow) the plow will ride ontop of it b/c the weight is not there to keep the plow down

16. birddseedd

It was tripping all the way forward laying flat on the ground until i backed up.

17. dieselss

I misunderstood...I thought you meant back dragging
    Now....what is the attack angle of your plow?
    Is the A-frame level or not?
    Those are factors that come into play

18. birddseedd

the a frame is level. I have not measured the angle but just looking at it it looks to be around 70 to 75. maybe closer to 70

19. birddseedd

As far as used plows go. i can get one that is less than 2 years old for under 2 grand with mount and wiring. But the only options are 7.5'. Is it worth getting new so i can get an 8'?

20. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You can always weld 2 more springs to the stainless plow, right ?:(