1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a recall on 04 F250 SD tranny?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fisher II, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Fisher II

Fisher II Senior Member

Though I heard someone talking about it being official?!

2. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

I don't think it's on the 04, only on the 05 with the 6.0. Do a search. There's a lot of talk about it.

3. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

depends on the trans maybe.let me know what trans it has and ill research it.If I find anything I can send you a copy of the owner notification letter.

4. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Certain trucks built from 3-8-04 through 6-24-04 may experience a failure of the low/reverse planetary assembly. Specifically one or more of the planet gear pinion shafts may walk out of the carrier. If this occurs metallic contamination of the fluid will occur and will cause harsh or slipping shifts and/or harsh or delayed engagements in forward or reverse. Trucks affected by this recall will have the low reverse planetary replaced if no damage has occured, or will have the transmission overhauled and repaired as needed, along with replacement of the transmission cooler, if damage has occured.

Found this online, you might want to check your build date, and contact your dealer to see if your truck falls within the specified dates...

5. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

They must have started putting the new trannys that are in the 05s in the 04s towards the end of the 04s production year. Too bad... Knock on wood, no problems with my 04 at 31k. Bought mine in 10/03 and it has a build date of 9/03.

6. Dan Vane

Dan Vane Junior Member

Dead

Killed my '05 at 120miles. Its at the dealer now getting fixed.

7. chriscasto22

chriscasto22 Junior Member

how can i find out the date my truck was made? i have an 04 f250 psd with 6000 miles on it .

8. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

there is a sticker on the drivers door that has the date of manufacture in one of the corners

9. saleen49

saleen49 Junior Member

10. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

11. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the info, my 05 started leaking trans fluid heavily Friday night, 6000 miles on her, I'm also experiencing hard down shifts, is anyone else ?

It's going to the dealer in about 15 min, I'll keep the thread updated with what they find.

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Their is an official recall that will be sent out next week, I guess they should of sent it out earlier cause they verified my case is cracked :cry:

13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Got the truck back Friday, drives like new, checked it out there is a new case under there :redbounce , only thing they changed my trans cooler and forgot to plug my fog lights back in, oh well, guess that's minor if the trans isn't leaking anymore :nod:

14. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Weve had transporters come in and tell us that theyve had trannys failing while loading them onto the haulers. Couldnt even get them out of the yard and to the dealers.

15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

just got the notice on one of our 05 f250's--5.4 gasser so its not just the 6.0

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We had an '04 with a build date of 9/03 that had all the problems that the late 04/05 tranny's are having, i.e. the planetary pins walking out and the snap ring letting loose. They blamed it on abuse and said they would warranty it this time but maybe not the next. I have no faith in the Torqshift transmission whatsoever. BTW, this '04 had been in 3 previous times because of hard shifting into reverse.