1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a Commercial grade, Arien snow thrower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Freddy_Kruger, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

I bought a home depot 28" 11.5 HP Arien snow blower last year and it's a pos. I had to rely on my 8 year old Noma to get me threw the winter. (I had 47 drive ways).

So I asked one of my dealers about commercial grade Arien and they quoted a price only a few hundred more then I paid for the home owners but when I go to the arien site, I don't see any commercial grade equipment.

All there warranties say 90 days commercial three years residential. So is this the only difference in the machines, is their warranty?

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

your dealer is right, there is no actual commercial grade but from what ive been told the Home Depot models are have certain parts that are made out of plastic where as a true Ariens dealers are metal

3. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

yes its true home cheep o makes the manufacture cheapen EVERYTHING they sell. IE. plastic parts that are metal on dealer machines, thinner metal everywhere else, smaller bolts, the list goes on. Go to the dealer pay a little more and get a way better machine.

4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

So there's a Dealer grade and a Home Depot grade ???

Doesn't make sense to me.

Home Depot isn't selling Ariens this year but they got Toros.. looks nice but I'm tempted to buy an MTD so I'm not out so much money. I'm a little gun shy after that Ariens, which I still have.

On the plus side, I've decided to raise my prices and go from almost 50 driveways to 20-25. So there will be less work.

btw, one of the worst and consistent problems I had was the traction wheel and the mechanisms down there. It's very flimsy and pops out. It got to the point where I left the bottom plate on so I had constant access to it. My Noma has a sprocket and chain there. I'm trying to find out if MTD has chains there, that would almost sell me.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Yes there is a commercial grade!! It's called the professional series. We have a 1332DLE Professional. That thing is a tank. Check out there website.

6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

So the professional series are commercial grade, that's good to know so I can look out for that. Still only a 90 warranty.

I think I'll buy the 26" since I'm taking fewer customers and it will give me a chance to compare to last years lemon.

7. DaySpring Services

If you look under the Features and Product Faq tabs on their website you can find out a little more about the blowers. You'll noticed that the professional series is built a little heavier. As long as you dont say you're using the snowblower commercially you'll get a 3 year warranty.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol, only posting because i was chuckling after reading your post... Look at the commercial Simplicity models, a 12-13hp will run ya about 2k but theyre pretty solid machines, handles are part of the frame, no flimsy toro garbage.

www.simplicitymfg.com

Id go with a 28-32"

9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

They still have that Traction wheel drive.. hows that working for ya? I really wish I could find another Noma because it has a chain and sproket down there.

The traction wheel on my Arien fell apart constantly and in thick (32 cm) snow, even at speed one and feathering it to boot, I burned out a belt for the impellor.

I'll price out those Simplicity, we have a dealer in town. A 28 hopefully wont be much more then a couple grand. but these traction wheels depress me.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Whats a traction wheel mean? Ive never heard of it at least :p I have hi-res pictures if youd like a few. I dont have any steering or traction issues with them. My 05 model with the nobby tires doesnt grip as well as the 06+ models with the X Trac tires, those things are like ice scrapers on the ground, much more contact area to grab the packed snow.

The unit weights 265lbs ~, it feels it, try to muscle it around and youll realise its doing most of the work for you.

It does eat through snow banks that the plows have plowed in peoples drives. Ive seen tons of guys out indevelopments with "bigger" type snow blowers struggling to do their own drive, yet i fly through their neighbors with a little finesse and im done.

11. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

I will keep my old Gravely, the best snow thrower ever produced. To bad ariens ruined them:mad:

12. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

A traction wheel is what spins the tires but it's not a chain. It one horizontal plate that is being spun by another at 90 degree angle. The faster you go, the more to the inside of the plate is being contacted by the spinning wheel. They are both covered with sticky stuff to provide traction between them.

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Ariens Pro Snowblowers

Absolutely Ariens Pro model Snowblowers are the best way to go for those residential laneways. Get the pro model that features 13hp with ignition start system, six blade impeller, largest housing for fast snow blowing, & the heated handles are pretty sweet!!!
    It's all metal parts ( other than the control knobs) so thats where Ariens comes into being an amazing machine. Just like any other machine though....keep them maintained & greased.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

i gotcha, yeah i never heard of that, ill have to check, i "thought" mine are belt driven, they have a belt drive for the impeller and another belt for the drive system.

15. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I have not read all the posts, but the difference between the homeowner models and the commercial models is in the transfer case. I have an Ariens 926 Pro. The standard snowblowers have transefer cases that are made out of aluminum. the Pro's have transfer cases that are made out of cast Iron. The cast iron is stronger and will last longer, and if you should eat a newspaper or 2 they wont tear them apart. That is my .02.

16. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

Here's a picture of the problem area. Another problem is that the belt for the augers burn out in heavy snow even on speed one. I don't think they can be adjusted but I'll look at it.

Another for the forum, what do you guys think of the Toro snow blowers at home depot that feature a heavy duty gear case so that shear pins are NOT required?

[​IMG]

17. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

If that's the only difference I will never buy an ariens.

18. DaySpring Services

Hate to say it but I think every snowblower out there uses a friction wheel for the drive nowdays. Maybe you got a bad blower just like some get bad trucks. I've never had a problem with my Ariens.

19. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger Member

I agree, when I looked at specs its always traction wheels. :mad: The only good thing I can say is, that since I fixed it like 50 times last winter I'm getting pretty good at fixing it.:cool:

20. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I had a lot of problems with my Ariens last year too. Bought it brand new, and the only time I liked it was when there was no snow on the ground. I took to the shop three times. The last time they replaced just about everything. I hope it works better this year. For my Money the Toro Snow commander is still the best. It is a 7 HP single stage and can handle 4 to 5 inches no problem. All of my accounts are large apartment complexes that have a 1/2 trigger, my Ariens is pretty worthless in that. I did hit a couple of big drifts last year when the Ariens was working. When it works it can throw some serious snow.