1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a BOSS rep on here?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BCM, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BCM

BCM Junior Member
    from midwest

I have a 2004 Chevy 2500hd Duramax Crew Cab short bed, I just bought a Boss RT3 Straight Blade 7 5", and we can't get the blade to hook up? The Undercarriage hooked up no problem but it seems as if it is too far under the truck ( like towards the back of the truck) and it is not at the recommended hight of 15-1/2 inches it is at 13 inches. it's like the bumper is sticking out two to three inches too far, and blocks the plow before it can lock into the undercarriage. thanks Ben

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

snap a few pics and post them up here. I dont think there are any boss reps on here but there are plenty of knowledgable people on here that can help you.

One thing I know for sure is that your plow frame must be at 15 1/2 inches or it wont hook up

3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

The truck side push beam reciever MUST BE 15 - 1/2 INCHES FROM THE GROUND

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

First off you DO NOT need to be at 15 1/2" for the blade to hook up. On a straight blade just set the stand lower. On a Vee plow move the wings out a bit till the plow comes off or goes on. My 02' is at 14" and my 06 is at 14 3/4" I have no problems getting the plows on either truck.

Now for the bumper. On my 06' there is a hole in the front licence plate because when I power up, the back of the plow hits the bumper. There is about a 1/2" of room between the plow and the bumper when mounted, so make sure your wires are not between the bumper and plow frame when hitting the power up button. On my 02' there is 4" between the bumper and plow frame. It's just the way it is but your plow will hook up.

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Ahh then I stand corrected. The manual says 15 1/2" for a V and I had problems hooking up my plow since it was at 14 1/2" but then I raised the push beam to 15 1/2" and it mounted right up. Im sure you can then see where my statement was coming from.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Was the undercarriage a brand new current production one, or an older take off? There was a revised pushbeam for the '03-up Gm's that moved the plow a bit further away from the bumper due to GM charging the bumper on the '03-up style trucks..

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

B&B I know your always correct with the info you give out, but the frame on my 06' is off my first new truck an 01' 2500HD. It was also mounted on my gas 04' and 06' before I upgraded to the diesel 06'. I never knew there was a revision until you just mentioned it and thats probably why my plow hits the bumper lol.
    Now the frame on my 02' is off an 04' 2500 Avalanche, so now you have me wondering. I'll be taking some measurements in the morning.
    Thanks for the info :)

8. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

FOR OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE YOU MUST HAVE THE PUSH BEAM 15 1/2 ' ' FROM THE GROUND ..........ITS ALL ABOUT THE ATTACK ANGLE AND MOST IMPORTANT....THE 2 YEAR W A R R A N T E E

9. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The install instructions specifically state to set them at 15 1/2" whether it's a straight or a V although it's not as critical on a straight as long as the A- frame is relatively level and it mounts and dismounts OK it's fine, they don't have to be exactly at 15 1/2"

11. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

are you saying it can be 20'' or it can be 10'' because you'd either have to use a jack to lift one of them up. also again warrantee and attack angle.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No I didn't mean they can be that far off... I said it isn't critical if they're off a little from the recommended height.

A straight will usually work fine anywhere between 14" and about 16 1/2" or so...

13. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

That wont flush with a vee blade. they tend to dig in the vee position .What if he upgraded to the vee?They are universal

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Right, that's why I specifically stated that it's not as critical on a straight...which is what he's got. But yes, if he ever went to a Vee, then it'd need to be set to the correct height then....

15. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

I usually foresee them things happening.just me.