1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a better price than Home Depot 5 gallon buckets?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by right touch, Oct 12, 2015.

1. right touch

right touch Junior Member
    from 08844

Just got my first large commercial site and am providing the 5 gallon buckets at each entryway. There are 152 altogether. Home Depot buckets with lids are about $5 each. Has anyone found a better deal out there? Seems like everything online is about the same. I did find a good deal on driveway markers @ .44 each versus Depot's $1.98 so I am thinking there has to be a good deal out there somewhere. Thanks in advance.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You have a supermarket with a bakery in it? Stop in and ask what they do with them.

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Why not buy salt buckets that are already filled, I have seen some companies that have 39 per pallet, and then refill them. Kill two birds with one stone and save a little on having to fill them the first time.

4. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

It's been a while so I don't exactly remember, but I think I found the best price at Walmart. Someone has to sell them cheaper than the single ones you buy at big box stores though. Might even ask some painting companies in your area if they have extra or if they will save them for you. They would be covered in paint but who cares.

5. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Some paint stores sell used buckets for $1 each, check the local deli's as pickles usually come in 5's as well.

6. grandview

Or check your local moonshiner.;)

7. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a pain in the ass job.....how many buckets will be left after the 1st event? 2nd? 3rd?....let's not talk about lids or filling/refilling 6000lbs of salt or monitoring them.

9. grandview

Don't go throwing water on this bucket brigade

10. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

Here's the one I have.

2015-10-12 20.34.49.jpg

2015-10-12 20.34.49.jpg

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He needs to check out the cemeteries, should be plenty of buckets in the dumpsters

12. grandview

More like a lot of buckets kicked over.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I just swing by this lot and grab a 5gal pail of salt on my way by to do my resi accounts

it sure is convenient and there replaced every event.

14. bmc1025

bmc1025 Member

Peladow pellets come in tall 5 gallons buckets, most likely 6 gallons. Just order skids of them and drop them off no need to fill or refill.

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

talk to the manager of your home depot. They can give deals if your buying in bulk. Tell them what your doing and how many you need. If they come on a pallet and there's 120 on a pallet tell him you'll take 2 pallets almost guarantee he/she will make a deal with you.

16. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Apple Pie comes in sealed distilled water bottles....need a supplier?

17. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Just out of curiosity, once you have these buckets placed at each entrance, are you going to have a scoop in them or a cup of some sort? I would like to see what you have in mind.