1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a better blade edge for bacdragging ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Grateful, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Grateful

Grateful Junior Member

I recently took over a plow route with alot of garages. I am new to plowing and was wondering if there was a different edge for backdragging?:help:

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

most manufacturers dont make one, so you can get one custom made for your plow from a welder. Also, a new cutting edge helps if yours is really worn out. The other option is to buy a Fisher X Blade for a ton of money, I hear they're great at dragging

3. PPP

PPP Member

Welcome to the site. You should post what type of plow your using as to make suggestions a little easier.

4. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

there is a back blade cutting edge out there what kind of plow do you have.... snoway has down pressure and they are great for back dragging , no back blade needed

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i know boss and western makes one,im not to sure what they will run you though!

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We got the backdrag blade option with the new westerns we bought this year and they work much better than just a reg cutting egde. I'd imagine anything with down pressure would work the best.

8. Grateful

Grateful Junior Member

Thanks to all who replied I have an older fisher minute mount 7.5 foot blade

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I have a Western backdrag edge on a plow, and agree they do work well. You still can't backdrag 100' of deep snow and clean it down to pavement or anything, but they DO cut the time and amount of strokes WAY down to get that cool sound of steel scraping the cement. I'll tell you, though...Next time I wouldn't mind trying a piece of healthy angle iron for the same purpose. It would be relatively easy to line up and mark holes for drilling. The advantage of the angle iron would be that the angle of attack would be sharper and would scrape cleaner, I believe. I also believe this would hold the plow down to the surface in reverse.

10. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

11. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

12. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

A snoway 26 with down pressure will cost approx $5k

13. smdude

smdude Junior Member

The Hiniker C plow cost me $5,400.00, getting it installed this weekend. My driveway needs this plow. Been looking for a while, its the best I've found.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Get yourself a 5/8" thick by 8" high cutting edge for that plow and it will REALLY help with the backdragging...i did that on mine and it made a world of a difference....it helped scraping while pushing forward too!

15. smdude

smdude Junior Member

Thanks MCW !

16. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

i just bought a backdrag edge for my western 7.6 pro... 89 bucks with the bolts.... had to cut the old bolts off though cuz they were painted over and such... took me about an hour to put everything together... its coming down a little right now so maybe ill let you guys know how it works in the am!

17. Grateful

Grateful Junior Member

Thanks jblatti13 let me know!!!

18. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

we got just enough where i could get out and try this badboy... i dont think ill ever plow again without a backdrag blade.... i damn near pulled piles all the way down the drive without leavin a trace... it was pretty light snow today so i guess it wasnt a very true test... however... i think they are well worth the 90 bucks... i did have to get a new front edge too cuz the old one was just too worn out... better off though now theyll both wear down at the same time... go get urself one well worth it.... dont know where ur located but 2 places near me stock em.. what plow u have?

19. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

20. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I made this one on our old Western Unimount

It works great !

backdrag edge2.jpg