1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is their a good per sqft per inch price?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SweeetLandscpng, Nov 5, 2006.

1. SweeetLandscpng

SweeetLandscpng Junior Member

Does anyone have a price for a per square foot/per inch that seems to make them money and keep the phones ringing most of my pricing based on comparative lots ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW PLEASE :D
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How about per acre for lots? Should be about an hour. So, since there is 43,560 sq ft in one acre, divide your hourly rate by that and get your per sq ft rate. If a general hourly rate is $125, then I get $0.287 per sq ft for an acre lot. Then, for a 50'x60' area, it would be $8.61. A 10'x25' driveway would be 72 cents.

That's why I'm not a fan of sq ft pricing. It doesn't make sense as it can't be applied consistently.

Per inch?? You must be kidding.
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Ah yes, glorious snow. Please take me to ur ledder, I require price per square millimeter...:confused:
  4. hesko1

hesko1 Member

That's why I'm not a fan of sq ft pricing. It doesn't make sense as it can't be applied consistently . Redo your math! The only way to survive in this business is to know what your numbers are!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  5. john boardman

john boardman Member

How about .0025 per square foot + 25.00 service call or trip fee. So a residential drive that is 20X50=1000sq ft 1000 X .0025 = 2.50 + 25.00 fee = 27.50 or 40,000 sq ft lot X .0025 = 100.00 + 25.00 trip fee = 125.00 then adjust the service fee for problems (difficult pushes or any shoveling of walks) This .0025 would be for 2-4" of snow and would increase with more snow accordingly. Just a suggestion it's the math I'm using for a starting point. Or if a residential drive is worth more to you then increase the service fee for residentials to get the most money you can get for your time and still be competative in your area.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  6. Mick

from Maine

Funny, but I'm agreeing to a point - forget the sq ft stuff and stick with the "service fee" and the variables you mentioned. The sq ft charge only complicates the issue.
    The customer only wants to know "how much". Telling them "It'll be $25" is easier for them to comprehend than figuring how many sq ft and adding it to... and, then .... Not only that, there could be real issues in measuring, like driveways with poorly defined shoulders, long lanes etc. For a 50'x60' lot, for example, that's 120 sq ft if you had a dispute of 6" on each side.
  7. Mick

from Maine

I agree:

$125 / 43560 (sq ft per acre) = .002869605 (per sq ft)

.002869605 x 3,000 (50x60) = $8.6088 (rounded to $8.61)
    .002869605 x 250 (10x25) = 0.71740125 (rounded to .72)

( I see - on the original reply, I had 286... as a fraction of dollar, when I meant a fraction of a cent. The results were correct, though so likely it was simply not getting the zeros from calculator to here.)
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I was thinking of trying a by the snowflake pricing method, anybody have any good way of estimating how many snowflakes per inch per acre?

OK, enough of the sarcasm. Another point against square foot pricing, what say I have one lot that is an acre and no obstacles, so an experienced operator with a pickup should be able to get it plowed in about 45 minutes at the most with an 8' plow.

The next lot is also an acre, but there are islands and handicap spaces with curbing and signs all over this lot. How do you figure the price on this one? Same experienced plower, same truck.

I'll give you a hint, you are not selling square feet. What are you selling when you have a limited amount of TIME to perform the service?
  9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Hey Mark.....
    I know I know:redbounce purplebou
    The correct answer is .......Time.
    I think I am Right. am I right? Or
    Am I right? or
    Am I Right?
    By the snowflake, would be 2,34567 snowflakes in an inch, divided by the square root of pie r squared, times 2 ............ I think I am wrong, but it should be 12!!!!!
    Anyways, don't do the per foot or inch. Bid it for your time, and make money.
  10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Heres my math. Take what you would charge and then cut it in half, becayse the next guy that bid it or the guy right ahead of you surely bid it at 50% reasonable rate.

This business is a joke.