1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is the "Snow Plow Package" necessary?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, May 19, 2010.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

i'm looking for a new truck, but not brand new, anywhere from '06-'08 chevy or ford but leaning more towards ford at this point...anyways, i was wondering if getting the "snow plow" package (better alternator, trans cooler, etc.) is necessary? if so, how hard is it to add these extras on a used truck?

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

It all depends on how much you like getting stuff fixed under warranty.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Much more costly. The Dodge plow prep ,skid plates HD battery, High output alternator,larger trans cooler. limited slip rears, etc. was $82.00 in 05 when i bought my last new truck.

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep I think my chevy was 110 but I could be wrong

5. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ya i would prefer to get the package but since i'm not buying brand new i was wondering how difficult it would be to put all that stuff on, or if it it's even possible to put some of that stuff on after market?

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm not sure about Kansas, but in the Northeast, anyone with half a brain in their head ordered their 4x4 truck with the plow prep package (especially on 3/4 and 1 tons)... finding one with plow prep isn't that hard near me, but it might be harder in kansas... not sure.

If you can get one with plow prep- it will save you some $$$ and headaches.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Plow prep is not that unusual in 3/4 ton trucks. any dealer can tell you by the VIN if the truck has PP. Some of the stuff (that i would not be with-out) is semi expensive (i.e. limited slip,lower ratios rears, high output alternator) but added together become pricey.

Don't get hung up on the quality of the tires on the truck you are buying. They can be a bargaining point if they're shot, but regardless of tread depth, etc unless they are snow tire as opposed to straight A/Ts you will want to replace them.

Nice options for plowing are elec windows, elec. heated mirrors, and a good stereo.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

there should be alot of used trucks out there already equipped; just may take a tad longer to find the right one. Its almost ALWAYS cheaper to buy something already equipped, than to do it yourself

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

plow prep is not a "need to have"item on a plow truck.
    it is nice to have but not necessary

10. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I have it on my 2005 Dodge 2500 HD. If you don't get a new truck with it, and the truck is under warranty, check to see if you put a plow on the truck, that it doesn't void your warranty. If you plan on plowing a lot with the truck, the extras help and give you peace of mind..

11. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

as it turns out i ended up buying a truck two weeks ago from today that did end up having the snow plow package, as well as everything else i wanted on it...i'll see if i can post some pics here soon

12. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

On the chevy you get skid plates, better fan clutch ( critical ), provisions for roof mounted light on the dash and a couple other things. It's worth it just for the fan clutch.

On the Chevy it is a MUST have. Without out you will be swapping out the fan in the middle of your first storm for a HD fan.