1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is the pivot bar worth it?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Mar 1, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

so, thinking about what i will do with my half ton next year. hoping to have a different blade. according to my dealer, iv been told here otherwise, the western blades only have a 1 year warantee. whereas boss 3.

but there are a couple main differences. one being the mounting system. Is it worth having mechanical? Can a boss be attached without electric? if it can its not really an issue, you only do it once a year. also boss does not have any kind of pivot bar, thus you don't get as clean of a scrape, harder to do side walks. is that worth giving up. also, is a chain lift really any kind of advantage? cyl's empty pretty quick, and using a ratchet strap is better than short chaining anyway.

also i would probably get used anyway.

what do yall think?
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That's a very subjective question. All a matter of opinion. Western does have a two year warranty for Comercial users and I despise the Boss mount. Since I work on broken plows all the time I hate the fact u need power and hydraulics to get a Boss mounted. Short chaining is very easy and all u need to get a Western mounted is a bit of violence and fowl language. My Boss guys use a skid steer to put their dead plows on a trailer when they don't work. For me it's a no brainier, western all the way.
  3. birddseedd

so, no power = no mounting at all?
  4. mishnick

If u have a jack or an overhead lift u can fight them on but it's very laborious. Using a jack is very hard because u have to get it under the blade. Impossible to do alone without overhead lift.
  5. birddseedd

cant you pull back on the blade and tilt it forward, with the a frame going up? or put the jack under the quad where it will fit and lift it?
  6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Really? Got mine on before with a floor jack and a chunk of 2x4 for height. Didn't take much, maybe 5 mins by myself on gravel.
  7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Never had to try this but if you had to mount a boss without power, couldn't yo drive into it like normal. By driving into it you would hook the pins on the lower part of the mount, then undo the hose to the lift ram and manually push the lightbar towards the truck until it locks in. With the lift ram still having the hose off you could ratchet strap the blade up now and transport it.

This was just from looking at my buddies boss plows. One thing I do believe western has over boss is ground clearance in the off season. Take the receivers off and you don't lose any clearance. My truck isn't used much for off roading but sometimes out cutting wood it gets muddier than expected.
  8. mishnick

It depends on the model and what position it was dropped in. Straight blades r easier but a v plow is mush more problematic. When both blades r back u can't get the jack under and in scoop jacking the a-frame only lifts the back end. Yes u can start pulling hoses and pissing fluid all over the ground but try that on a cold night in a dark lot. Getting the bottom pins in is the easy part. Getting the top two to lock in is the hard part. If a person is determined and clever it can b done but my point was the comparrison to Western. With Western one man can always hook up and short chain.
    Also notice the knife edge design of Boss mounts. It's really hard just to get lined up alone. Western has bigger horns and the receivers r like funnels. So much easier to get them started.
  9. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

Boss flexes pretty good and I've never had an issue with it not flexing enough to scrape clean... But I do have a new DXT and that was one thing they tried to improve on. And boss you can pull the lift ram pin on top and ratchet it up with a ratchet strap. I love my boss but have thought about the pivot situation before also.
  10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the pivot bar on Western's ultramount has been a great feature. besides following the contour of the surface that you are plowing, it also makes it so you can set the blade down on uneven terrain and still line up with your mount when you pull back into it. Also, you don't have uneven cutting edge wear if your truck or the plow mount happens to be a bit crooked.
    Also Western's warranty is two years. you don't have to be a commercial user to get that.
    And personally, I don't see how anyone could have any easier hookup system than the Ultramount, whether it be powered or not.
  11. birddseedd

wonder why my dealer said 1 year.

not to mention, my dealer sucks, most of the time im plowing, they are not open.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Thinking my old dealer said 1 year on the HTS models and everything else was 2 year

Pivot bar is nice For uneven lots I can put my truck half on a walk and the plow will be level on the walk

I didn't think I wouldnt mis the pivot bar , few times running my Skid I can notice the difference
    Same lot I put skid half on the walk and plow would not sit on the walk

I have a Boss V and its faster to hang it from a loader to mount it on the truck once its on It doesn't come off till spring time
    Its a RT2
  13. birddseedd

That must be why. I was shipping for my half ton
  14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the HTS warranty is two years also. however the SUBURBANITE is one year. so, yea, you could have been looking at one of those.