1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is the 8'6 or the 9'6 V right for me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Feb 5, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have finally decided after researching a lot to get a Fisher V for my truck for next winter. My question is should I get the 8'6 V or the 9'6 V for my 2004 F-350 SRW Reg Cab. I will have a pallet of Magic salt and snowblower as ballast. I will be doing resdential and smaller commercial properties like banks and convenience stores.

On a side note I decided on the Fisher V, 1.) because I have great support in that this is big fisher company and can get parts and service everywhere. 2.) I like that Fisher has a trip edge so in V just the edge trips un like Boss when in V if it trips it has to go straight then fold forward because the whole mold board trips. 3.) The V is more versatile and since this is a big purchase and will have it for a few years and will use it alot in different positions since we get drifts up here and need to punch openings.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of people on here mention that the drive throughs at a lot of banks are narrow. Would you be able to get a 9'6" through them? If so I would buy one.

3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

If you can go with 9.5' get it just make sure its not to big, wide, for your jobs. You could get wings for a 8.5' and have the best of both.

4. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

If it's a V and folded, I'd think he'd be okay, and can always go through with a back blade to clear it out. Or, he can go with the 8'6" and not have to worry about it.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I never seen a drive thru that wasnt at least 8 foot wide. In scoop position the 9 ft plow should be no problem.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Check the drive throughs.......

I almost got stuck. Glad it was late at night and not durring the day otherwise the tellers may have freaked. 4x4 and lots of the stupid pedal and she pope free with a nice grind/scraping noise

Other than that I love the 9.5 fisher :nod:

7. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

LOL, you know they have you recorded on cam doing that, right? They get to see the crazy plow going goin at it again!

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i have seen alot of drive throughs that my truck just sqeezes through, with my plow on no way.

9. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

I have too, I gotta angle an 8' straight blade and squeeze through, the damn mirrors on these fords barely make it around stuff as it is, they are good though for backing into spots, if the mirrors fit, the blade will :nod:

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

some may make it and some may not......I know from personal experience though if you go through in one truck with an 8' straight blade angled and then come back another storm 1/2 asleep and remeber making it before and forget that you were in a different rig bad **** can happen :eek:

11. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NEU........A fisher rig is a good choice !
    Be wary of your local width restrictions when choosing your plow size. The DOT or local cops LOVE to write those tickets in certian areas.

Buy that plow during the the summer heat. A cash money deal can be found easily!

GUYS.....i hear ya about bank drive thru lanes...PIA....Even with my 7-6 with Turkey Wings. But I can squeeze thru in 1 pass and its clean curb to curb.
    NO stick plowing, back blading, etc.

Because TIME is Money ! :drinkup:

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If any residential is involved then I would go with the 8'6", also the fact that you are only plowing smaller commercial where really long pushes in wide open lots are less likely. You can always make it bigger, you can't make it smaller.