1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is the 7.8L ford a Cummins?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jay brown, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 7.8L Ford diesel in a 1990 f 800 and heard that it is a Cummins... any truth to that? and if so what series would it be?

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

3. Jay brown

thanks, in other words it's a throw away, since it has no sleves....

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Jay I am curious what is the reasoning for thinking the 7.8L is a Cummins engine?

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

nope. when it gets tired, you rering it jusy like a gas engine. my ex partner has one with over 1 million miles on it. it has been rerung once about 3 years ago. that is a very good engine for a mid size truck
    the only thing that is getting hard to find is the oil pump housing and parts.
    we have 8 of them in F 800 service trucks at the new shop now.
    i think they are a way better engine than the P.O.S. 5.9 cummins ford replaced it with.

6. Jay brown

#32 01-04-2009, 10:07 PM
    bossplowguy
    Senior Member Join Date: Jan 2008

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay brown
    we have a ford Diesel in an f800 and i think it's a damm good motor...assuming that Ford made that motor, too bad they cant make something on that I6 platform and just scale it down to fit into a pickup....
    REPLY:
    Thats because your motor is a cummins. Ford branded it as a ford diesel but they were a Brazilian made cummins.

because of this thread when i asked in an earlier thread....

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

that person don't know his butt from a hole in the ground. there is absolutly nothing the same between the ford 6.6 and 7.8 engines and a cummins engine, except that they are all inline 6 cylinders.

he probably thinks ford still owns cummins also.:D

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ah I see. AFAIK Cummins had nothing to do with the 7.8L. It is true it was made in Brazil. They had some issues with cracking exh. manifolds, and were low h/p engines. But all in all not a bad engine, They were used a lot in the euro cab model trucks. I agree it's not a throw away block either, just hone it and re-ring.

9. beaver2

beaver2 Member

They are pretty good engines. Many fleets run them and have no problems. They are known for thier reliability, but hard to get parts for.

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

X2
    They were hard to get parts for back when they were in production.