1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is stacking big piles really that bad?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplower1, Feb 3, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I was plowing all day yesterday for the storm and there was ALOT of snow so i started making some big piles and a couple got pretty dang big but then i remembered people talking on here about how it is bad to stack.

so my question is, how bad is it and what does it to to the plow/truck?
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

What else are you going to do with it?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stacking is ok. Abusing it is not ok
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Who said that?

If you don't stack it what are your choices going to be , leave a windrow or small piles
    Taking up even more parking space?

As with everything , some care has to be taken or you will damage something.

Get a direct lift and sleep better knowing you can stack snow.

Then when the pile gets to big sell them snow removed.
  5. snowplower1

if your referring to the snow, i would spread it around more where it would take up more room and then they would have to pay to have it removed once we got too much.

the plow and truck are brand new so if it's pretty bad for it im not doing it.
  6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a wheel loader(s), stacking is terrible for you're bottom line. I get scolded on a regular basis for "stacking too high"..........
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Didn't they pay you to clear the lot
    Or to spread it around?

Some can put it around the edges of the lot,
    Over the curb.

Some have to put it , stack it in a desenated area.

Once you get the hang of stacking you will save on brakes as you use the pile to help stop you.
    You don't just floor it and yell,, Daktari.!,..and slam into it.
    your plow is designed to go up , to fasilate stacking.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. snowplower1

well i wouldnt spread it randomly itd be in corners and reasonable areas but pretty much all our curb space and islands are full to the point even with how high i could stack cant stack anymore.

but i dont feel like when i stack i do it too hard on the truck. i just got nervous once because i pushed a pile up and heard a creaking sort of sound and i was just thinking could it be bad for it because ik someone was saying how bad it was.

the way i stacked once they started to have to be big from so much snow was i would carry the load of snow to the pile and while going the speed im usally plowing in which isnt too fast becauce i keep it in first gear, and then as i approach the pile i start lifting it until it doesnt go higher and let the plow go up until the truck stops
  9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer to leave where mother nature places it, but for a fee I'll stack it to the sky
  10. snowplower1

if it were bad for the truck and plow i might still do it anyway because honestly its so dang cool. i can make piles 3x as big as any of our other trucks.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Because I don't stack it high ,I was making money today with a loader pushing piles up and back.
  12. snowplower1

yeah i know i probably wont stack quite as high as i did again for that reason because although we dont have a loader, we have a guy that will do it for us whenever so we still make good money off it. but if this storm they're calling for on sunday hits it wont matter how high i stack it, there still isnt gonna be any room anymore.

btw what the average going rate per hour for relocating/removing snow piles? is like 100-150 an hour too little
  13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I used to make Big piles, but this is the only time I would get stuck. I hate digging the truck out with a shovel. So now I have a skid loader, no more getting stuck making piles. Charge to move snow if I run out of room to put it.
  14. snowplower1

i got stuck once last year before i had my new truck and my dad gave me a bunch of crap for it even though it was just during cleanup and he was at the lot with me so he pulled me out right away. then like a month later he was super behind on his route and i was trying to figure out how and found out he got stuck, i didnt let that go for so long.
    how did you usually get stuck? just so i dont do it.
    also if you wouldnt mind me asking, what do you think is a good going rate for moving the snow
  15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I'll stack over the roof of my truck, maybe 10' if the snow is light but if it needs a loader, they pay loader time.