1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is something Wrong

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chasity2682, Dec 29, 2010.

1. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I already know if you don't want to pay for the gas then don't buy a big truck, "thats not what i want to hear.
    I get 7.5 miles to the gallon hwy driving with no plow or salter nothing, just 2wd.
    the truck has 8100 Miles on it, Is this normal.:help:

2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

if its a v-10, thats about right. I had one once, it really sucked the gas down but it had the power to pull anything.

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

And i have friends who ***** about getting 14mpg empty in there 6.4's... I feel for you man.

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I cant speak for the 2010's, but I had a 99 V10 that got 13-14 mpg, and a friend of mine has an 04 that gets 14-15, and he drives it pretty hard.

I used to get about what youre averaging around town, so yes, I do believe something isnt right

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

my 04 V-10 gets 10-12 around town
    plowing it is around 5-6

6. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

What gears does the truck have in the rear end? Do you carry extra weight in the truck like sand or salt? And it is a 4-1/2 ton brick wall going down the highway so that does not help your milage.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you have 4.88.or 5.13 gears, that sounds about rite. if you have 3.73 or 4.10 gears, there is something wrong.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If you are totally empty I'd say that there is something wrong. I had an '01 with a V10 that I could pull 14 MPG out of and that had a crew cab.

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would think you have either 3.73 or 4.10 gears. Seems like your mileage sure be at least 10 mpg or better with no load.

10. swtiih

You should hand calculate your mileage,don't use the computer reading it could be off

11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I belive you could still get the 4.30 in that year with a V10 but I have been known to be wrong on occasion.:D

12. swtiih

If it has the 4.30 gears the 7.5mpg is probably accurate

13. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I had a 99 v10 that got 10mpg on the hwy no matter if I was empty or hauling a house.

May be a stupid question, but when was the last time you did a good tune up? (fuel injectors cleaned, plugs, fuel filter, air filter)

Just be careful with the plugs, the one I had did not like the plugs I put in it and spat them back out on the rear 2 on both sides more then once. I had to replace both heads after it got so bad then sold the truck.

also, you may have a clynder not firing, one of the coil packs may be bad, you got 10 so if only 9 were working it may be hard to tell unless you are in a heavy pull....

14. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

The OP said he only has 8100 miles on the truck and it's a 2010 so it should not need a tune up yet.

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I think you have something wrong. You should be doing about 10-12 MPGs. What rear end ratio do you have?

16. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Sounds like it is a little low, but not too far off. What is the temp there? Winter time the very best my 01 does is 12 hwy. Lowest can be as low as yours. Really depends on temp, fuel, and driving habits. My current tank looks to be making 8.5-9.0mpg. If your hovering around zero or less that is about right. I'm in the 20-30's Fahrenheit

Gear ratio's offered in the pick-ups don't make a whole lot of difference mileage wise. 3,73s are very mediocre for about everything except empty hwy cruising. 4.10s should have been std from the get go. 4.30s probably the best overall for the engine/trans and size of the truck. If you refer to V10 owners mileage numbers on a huge thread on Ford Truck Enthusiast website. Mileage numbers are measured in tenths difference on average between them all. 2010 should have 4.10 std and 4.30 optional I believe. Lower gearing available in F450 on up.

Makes you feel any better a 6.0psd auto F450 with 4.88s had a hard time getting 10mpg empty. Pulling anything, I made the same same as your V10 is doing right now. It was an expensive engine, expensive to service, no huge gains.

Give it some time to come around. 8100 miles is nothing yet. When them 3v engines came about people claimed they needed a little time to "break in" for lack of better terms.

Temp like I said makes a big difference. Atleast 2mpg or more. But this ethanol gas they serve us is **** also. That was close to another 2mpg loss in mileage for me. When I first got the truck it was very close to if not 16mpg hwy in the summer. Now 14mpg and change is it.

Best mileage is trying to keep the RPMs under 2500. With 4.30s if that is what you have, that is around 68-70mph on the speedo with 285s. Drive it like there is an egg under the gas pedal. As fun as the V10 is, keeping the R's down makes the gas guage a little slower to fall...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  17. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

it is the 4:10 gear ratio. and it is about -10 degrees here. some people have told me a new exhaust and cold air intake can add 65 miles to the tank, but considering i am only getting 240 to the tank it sounds like a lot of BS to me

18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

That is BS. The V10 already has a pretty efficient design on the intake and exhaust with the 3V motors. Gains will be minimal, if anything. Keep the RPMs below 2500 as somebody suggested earlier, look at how you drive, check your tires, and give it a bit. That, or since it is so new, take it back to the dealership and ask about it.