1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Solar Salt used as deicer in the Northwest?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steve b, Sep 8, 2008.

1. steve b

steve b Member

I just got a price for a railcar of solar salt delivered to Waterloo Iowa for $97 per ton. Are there any problems with using it for deicing.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

like the water softener?

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

this was about all that was used on sidewalks at the end of last year

it should work fine especially for that price

would you sell me some

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

i didnt have much luck with it....a few years ago,,, some dumb worker , bought like 30 baggs, spread it .... i flipped out...when i figured out what he was spreading , and it didnt work

5. cretebaby

you cant get the big tabs but the little pellets work fine actually work better in certain cases and spread really nice with push spreaders

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

aaaa, that was the deal , they got the big ones

7. cretebaby

i bet that looked good if they where spreading the big salt tabs

weatherman would be reporting nickel size hail LOL

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

hahaha, i flipped out.... at first i tried, to drive over it, on a small lot, and crush it.... lol , i just ended up plowing it up,

funny thing was... i bailed out a friend spreading at a menards, a few yrs back.... well if you know how they do salt....they(menards will) load the hopper ....

i pulled up to the guy in the dump truck, and said "hey man, right now they are filling you with water softener salt....." he just looked back in the mirror, then said
    " welll, i no pay to tell them what to do...only pay me hourly to spread what they put it ---- (mexican guy) - using those exact words

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. cretebaby

our local menards saves up all the bags that get ripped all year for the plow guys

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

We used the solar salt a few times it worked ok! I love those bags with the handles built in them! They are nice to throw around!

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Since I can't get any "Real"salt I had to order 24 pallets of Solar. We/I use it alot for side walk melters, it works real well. But it has some inconsities in its granular sizes. Some flow well, but others will plug up a push spreader..

As for my 24 pallets, all are getting cut open, Dumped in the bunk, then mixed with 15 to 25% dry sand and some Calcium Chloride.

J.

12. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

I have used solar salt and I have used blue bags of water softner of salt also. The solar salt works ok. Solar salt is just evaporated salt.