1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is scraping ice an option....?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ProSeasons, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I know we would all like to use less chemicals and minerals on our accounts. What shape would the serations cut into an old cutting edge have to look like like in order to not damage asphault, which is relativly soft?

I would like to end up with something like this belly rig under this litte pick up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqBGtm5hj4&feature=related

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not worth it. you will care slices in the blacktop and really be in trouble. About the only cool thing to do with it is have salt drop down in front of the blade and have the salt slit seed into the ice.

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

The lilltle baby dozer that popped up in related vids on youtube might make a decent sidewalk machine!!

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Nice "outside the box" thinking, but as grandview says you will create damage to the pavement.

This is what salt is used for.

For very thick ice veins a normal belly blade can make those go away. I wouldn't attempt to de-ice a property with one though. Use the right product.

5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Department of Transportation, a series of tests was pertbrmed to compare the prototype
    cutting edge with two standard cutting edges, one with a carbide insert, the other without.
    A test area, not accessible to the public, was sprayed with water at night, when weather
    conditions were appropriate, to give a test strip of ice up to 3/8 in (0.9 cm) thick and 180 ft
    (55 m) long. The results indicated that the prototype cutting edge cut more ice (i.e., took a
    deeper cut at a given velocity) and did so with less downforce than either of the other two
    blades. The field tests did not address the issues of blade wear or shock resistance. Further
    studies are required to determine this behavior.
    Though cutting edge performance may benefit from further studies, it is clear from this study
    that fairly minor changes in cutting edge geometry result in substantially improved ice
    cutting.

(This is a University of Iowa test done back in 1993, it was a success. I wonder what happened to the technology?)

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/Onlinepubs/shrp/SHRP-H-346.pdf

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The technology may be there, but the perfectly level parking lot won't be there.

Parking lots will have numerous undulations throughout. You don't really need a government study to foresee this, or the great difficulty you will have keeping the perfect down pressure throughout the entire lot to remove only the ice without causing damage to the pavement.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but use the right tool man......either salt it or pre-treat it.

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah. Yeah, your'e right, man. Thanks.