1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is scotch taping a flyer to a mailbox legal/ethical?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PlowOrDie, Oct 31, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

i was just wondering if I can tape flyers to mailboxes without

A) getting in legal trouble?

B) looking like a schmuck?

what are your takes on this method?

2. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Don't mess with mailboxes. Period. Taping them to the outside of it is a SCHMUCK move. Do the right thing and pay the money to send them out, if you really feel thats what you need to do to get leads.

3. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Rule #1...Mailboxes belong to the U.S. Government! Look on yours and it says that.

4. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

its not that this is my only way to get leads, its just that there are a few nice developments right around my street that I wouldnt mind signing contracts with to help pay for some minor overhead...

and yes, the mailbox is considered federal property, BUT, i dont see much wrong with taping flyers to them with scotch tape... i can see a huge problem though if I were to use DUCT tape

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

If you're afraid to walk up a sidewalk, and talk to people face to face, you don't need to be plowing! I wouldn't even wipe myself with the piece of paper it's printed on if someone couldn't come to my door face to face. It shows 1.)Dishonesty...2.)Laziness...in my opinion.
    Kinda like the guy picking up your daughter for her first date and sitting in the driveway honking! My daughter wouldn't go.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2007
  6. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

how does it show dishonesty if you don't mind?

7. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

An honest man will look you in the eye when doing business.I wouldn't trust someone who just "taped" a flyer on the mailbox...can't wait to see the rest of the comments from the others that have been doin' this 20+ years. They'll tell you that they got where they are by HARD work... not hangin fliers and "hoping" people call you. Do what you want tho I'll be the one gettin homemade chocolate chip cookies at Christmas with my bonus check... because I did business in person!payup

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Bob, I made a note not to sit in your drive and Honk :):) Also You got my adress I like my cookies with milk :)

Plow or Die, When it comes to snow,

1. I call all my clients who need to renew, I also call all my others and touch base with them.
    2. They call us from our phone book Ad.
    3. They see our trucks and call us.
    4. Word-of-mouth.

I have some that if they dont hear from me in july/Aug they call me to make sure i'm still plowing.

1-888-611-SNOW, is a big seller also.

If you were to tape something on my box, it would get trashed.

P.S who has time to plow drive ways, and I also get cookies :)

9. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

point taken.

but I will still continue to distribute flyers (withouth taping them) despite what you all say.

I have many forms of advertising going on right now (with little personal effort, might i add), but i figured in my down time, why not directly target some homes i wouldnt mind doing.

...dropping off a well designed flyer with a catchy, honest niche' is alot less likely to piss someone off as much as knocking on their door (soliciting), or waiting for them to step foot outside the door (stalking)

..if someone is serious enough about my service, to the point where they call me back from checking out my flyer, then I will be just as serious to do honest business with them..

..until then, I don't think I will be waiting around for that 1 person per mile to step outside their door to talk to me

10. karol

karol Senior Member

flyers

I wouldn't tape the flyers. I've been using fridge magnets that you can buy at wal- mart or any business supply store. You need business cards that you can stick on the magnets. I put a flyer together with the price and any other information that you'd like to put on and I put it on the doors. This is the only way I advertise for residential accounts. I've gotten many this way. Most people will hang on to the magnets. It certainly doesn't make you dishonest. Now if you're trying for commercial accounts face to face is the preffered method. Hope this helps.

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I wouldn't knock on doors, I need to add to what I said, We do use Door Hangers for lawn/landscape so if it works for you great. We dont do drives inless they call us.

What part of ohio you in>?

12. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

NE ohio is my location

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Believe me, you may not see anything wrong with taping something to the outside of a mailbox, but the USPS does. Anything in or on a mail recepticle is to be collected by the mail carrier and delivered to the post office. A new person in a hurry who sees something in a mailbox will just take a swipe with his hand without looking as he delivers the mail. The results can be "interesting". I "collected" a bottle of whisky once around Christmas. Unfortunately, at the time I was a part timer who carries part of several routes. By the time I got back in, I'd forgotten what address or even what route it came from. Since I couldn't deliver it to the mailman it was intended, I got to keep it. But I don't drink much, so I gave it away.

The Postmaster will usually call the person listed on a flyer and tell him to stop. The second notice is usually through the Postal Inspectors. Those guys have no sense of humor.

14. drumbo

drumbo Member

You can't OPEN a box or put anything INTO a box. Since, the contents are private and addressed to that specific address or person. Outside of the box is fine...but a dumb idea in general...but legal.

The boxes must be APPROVED (supposedly) by the Postmaster General but you are the one who buys them and maintains them. Some people build their own and the reason they are supposed to be "approved" is to ensure that the contents delivered to you are protected from blowing out, getting wet, etc.

Years ago, we put flyers out (for a different service) and only got into trouble when some of the kids I hired actually put them INTO the box. They view that as a violation of privacy...you know, when the local principal or school superintendent gets "Sweet Young Love" magazine...sheesh.

15. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

i post a flyer with my business cards attached to it at the local convenience stores and gas stations with the managers or owners permission it works better then in the mail flyers

16. Mick

from Maine

17. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Who Says???

It does not say on is the same as in. It specifically says "IN"

Just some other info I have seen and heard over the years. Nothing I say below should be taken as law etc.

1. Condo Associations etc, often put their newsletters etc in mailboxes with no penalty.

2. Cleaning Services are notorious for leaving stuff on the outside of mailboxes without penalty.

3. People put stuff in AFTER the mail has been delivered thus avoiding them seeing it.

4. How about taping it to the post, that is not part of the mailbox. Newspaper companies nail tubes to it. Where does it end, the ground?

I usually mail them in a big area or leave them on the door for a small area. I can't imagine going door to door trying to pitch plowing like the fuller brush man. People are never home.

18. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Agreed :drinkup:

19. Mick

from Maine

Ok. I just put information out there. What you do with it is up to you.

20. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I hate people knocking on my door. We were at a friends for halloween and I got pissed off every time the door bell rang.

You can't put stuff ON the mail box. I did it 12 years ago with a flyer between the flag and the box and they were picked up and I was called. Haven't done it since.

Leave them in the newspaper hole. If they get the paper they might think you paid for it to be delivered. Tapeing it to the post would look cheap.

If you stick it in the mail box after the mail has been delivered, I would call the police on you myself. Too much identity theft going on to have someone in my mail.