1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is salting all the time overkill-CYA?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chandlerarms, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

How often do commercial accounts want salt? What happens if there is a little ice in certain areas, but not the entire area- do you still salt? I ask because we have a apartment complex and we will be doing our own plowing and salting this year. I want to make sure there are no slick areas. What is our liability if there are a few slick stops here and there due to cars being parked in an area or it is a little more went in some spots?

Oh and I know this first hand since I was at one of those self wash car bays today. Clear day, not too cold but guess what......I was walking around in front of my new plow truck and hit a slick spot and slipped. Well after sitting at the ER for nearly 4 hrs (and an ambulance ride) the put MY DISLOCATED SHOULDER BACK IN PLACE!!!!!!

They had an attendant there that had closed off some bays with cones due to ice. I did not see any ice in my bay, and even walked thru the spot I slipped on a few times, but it was there all right!

Talked about pissed and painful! I do not want this to happen at our place!

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

When in doubt salt is what I say. I had a person slip getting out of her car and caught her self and was fine, but the management company called me right away and told me of the incident. Your stomach drops when you hear something like that. We had no snow for a few days but we had a little warm up and refreeze in a few areas of the lot that have a little dip in the pavement. Now we salt the whole lot at the hint of any ice.

3. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

Yeah, after this incident, I have a greater appreciation for a clean safe lot. The dislocation was the most painfill thing I have gone thru! And I don't want to happen at our site!

4. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Most guys will spot check sites at the hint of any kind of ice or refreeze, then you have a choice to salt ice areas or the whole thing. If by chance you have any web cameras or surveillance you can monitor condition's really easily.

5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

If possible stack snow on the downhill side if possible to minimize melting/refreeze of your own piles. And always listen to your gut. You're worried about it. You've had a fall yourself. Salt is much cheaper then a law suit.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Get with the apartment manager also.

We make it clear with our clients that if we don't salt, to please contact us immediately if they feel they want it done.

This way, I hedge myself against my clients feeling like I'm trying to take advantage of them if the conditions are questionable and I throw salt.

In the out-lying areas, it did freeze harder and the DOT trucks hit intersections. In town, I didn't see a single city truck when doing site checks. There were a large number of contractors that did throw salt though, so it makes you wonder if they were trying to make a buck considering we haven't had any events this season. But then again, maybe they were making sure nobody slipped going to work.

We had conditions earlier this week where we had freezing temps after some light snow showers. There was a window in there where the pavement froze for about 1.5 hours before the sun broke back through and melted off. I called all my contacts the night before and told them that I would do site checks and throw if needed. I also told them that if I didn't apply, to please call.

In the out-lying areas, it did freeze harder and the DOT trucks hit intersections. In town, I didn't see a single city truck when doing site checks. There were a large number of contractors that did throw salt though, so it makes you wonder if they were trying to make a buck considering we haven't had any real events this season.

What really helps, and we've started pushing this more and more when bidding, is to try and get them to sign up for a seasonal flat rate contract. This way there is no question, and even if conditions are questionable, we will throw salt.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

keep enough salt down that there is brine when wet....lightly salt if not sure...and as mentioned tell the managers if they have a concern please call....always have someone that lives close that can respond

8. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

They obviously did not have heated floors in the wash bays,
    and wash bay aprons and that is why you fell and were injured.

You cannot go wrong with using lots of mason sand if they are
    concerned with concrete spalling and cracking. The use of sand
    or grit adds a second layer of protection to the pedestrian traffic