1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Quickbooks right for me?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by SnowMan4U, Feb 19, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

..or should I choose another type of book keeping system? I'm giving my CPA a headache and he says I need to get either Quickbooks or something similar. Here's a run down on my business...

One owner operator
    NO employees (And there never will be)
    2 Mowers (ZTR)
    3 trimmers
    2 blowers
    1 truck
    1 trailer
    60 clients
    plowing in the winter 1 truck and plow set-up
    currently paying taxes through CPA
    Fall clean ups
    work 5-6 days a week
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Get what your CPA wants you to use, it will make his life easier and cheaper for you in the long run.

2 ZTR's and 3 Trimmers but no employee's:D
  3. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Yea..sounds crazy right? I have 2 ZTR's because one is for sale. I have three trimmers because one gets used for grass (trimming), one for brush (Brush blade) and one will have either a power paddle or an edger on it. Ahhh the luxuries of working alone!:)
  4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i have quickbooks pro and it has so many features on it i dont even know how to use half of them but it is awesome and im gonna find out how to do more on because it can do anything
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

If your cpa is asking for it than YES.
  6. norstar

norstar Junior Member

Very professional looking invoice, Kinda a pain at first cause ya have to first key in all your clients, then all your services, mowing,pruning, plowing and a rate for each. Once its running come in at night, key in your days work, key in any deposits. you always know where you stand with accts, who is late ect. you can also look back and see sales for a given month I use it for my telcom computer service company. I just take a back up to the acct and he does his thing from their. Just a hint if you wanna do a cash job do not make an Invoice make an Estimate.
    Good luck!

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

SnowMan, Where are you from. I might be interested in the the ztr??
  8. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Western Mass

edited by Charles: reason: No place here to advertise lawn Equipment
  9. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

Q-b Pro

WHAT HE SAID: Ialso use q-b pro for my plowing & remodeling business. it takes a little to get set up , but once you are it makes things sooooooo much easier. payroll taxes/w-2/ w-3/ 10-99 /depreciation of trucks & equipmet/ expenses/invoices /estimates everything you need ,totally worth the investment. costs probabely 200. or so
  10. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

I have been using QB Simple Start for a year now and that has been working very well. I like having the ability to quote things and then with a few clicks turn an estimate into an invoice. There was some initial entry work involved in getting it all set up at first but very worth it. Now, whenever my old lady wants to know who still owes us what I can click a few buttons and show her. I will probably be upgrading to QB Pro for payroll and accts payable functions but it sounds like for your needs you could easily get by with QB Simple Start. Cost is about $100 vs. $250 for Pro.
  11. GFX

GFX Member

I just recently bought QB's Pro for $149.00. Just went to the Sam's Club website and printed the page off. Took that page to Office Max where they matched the price of Sam's. Ended up also getting a free ream of paper because of the sale Office Max was having. Go for it. QB's is worth it especially if your accountant is asking for it.
  12. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Quick Books Pro for 200 bucks is the cheapest investment ever. You will save that at least in the first year just on your tax prep fees.

Buy it, get a book on it and learn about it. Go to your accountant and ask him how he wants it set up - between you both come up with a plan and go from there. My tax bill went from $1400 to 700 the first year.