Snow Plowing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is plowing really that hard?

20K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  Mike_PS 
#1 ·
To see were im coming from go to thread Partnerships vs doing it alone. So Im hoping to do some subcontracting work this winter. Im imagining all i have to do is have a plow truck and insurance and i should be good to go right? As im typing this feel like there should be more to it then this like i might be missing alot. Im not talking about becoming an LLC or having my own contracts because im just subbing with no other work on the side. Is there something im missing here.
I feel like sub contracting should be a good way to make decent money and get the hang of thing while not dealing with the headache of having 30 seperate contracts for small residential houses. I was hoping to have a mentor who is very actively involved in the plowing buisness to ask many questions to and in person to cover all bases becuase the last thing i want is to invest in equipment and get insurance and have something catostrophic happen that wrecks everything. AM I OVER COMPLICATING THINGS or do i have the right to be so worried?

#3 · (Edited)
ConnerM;1489284 said:
. I was hoping to have a mentor who is very actively involved in the plowing buisness............ or do i have to be so worried?
You need a mentor ???

Grandview is available. He does nothing all winter long but collect all of his "seasonal" paychecks.....

Fly him out, buy him a few drinks, dinner ??, and maybe you'll get a "little".......:eek:

Mentoring......:laughing:

#4 ·
1st your really not a sub if your plowing with someone else truck. Insurance is to protect you, not the contractor you'll be subbing for. I'm assuming you never plowed before? Maybe this season see if you can ride along and be a gopher for someone and maybe they'll let you plow a few times to see if you like it or not. Plowing is not for everyone.

#5 ·
You don't strike me as the type to overcomplicate things

#7 ·
Join SIMA take some of their classes attend some of the symposiums or trade shows that are held across the country. If you are going to run your own truck; yes it will need commercial insurance, yes you will need to claim it on your taxes, yes you should have liability insurance to protect yourself, yes devoted winter tires are best, yes two batteries are better but you only need one. Yes plowing is hard on the front end, the extra weight on axle bearings and load points consent steering resistance on steering components, yes timbrens help, yes you should carry a counter weight, yes you need contracts, yes wing/Vee blades are more productive, no you don't have to have one, yes a blinky light is important, yes markers are good, no you should not pile snow in front of non-paying driveways, yes you are on call 24/7 10/1though 4/15, yes 3/4 ton or better trucks with plow prep are best but 1/2 ton will work, no there is no law you have to buy Fisher in Maine, Trip edges do not save transmissions, full trip vees will trip but not as well a a trip edge, only Snoway has down pressure, Douglass Dynamics owns fisher, western, blizzard, Yes you plow on Christmas, salt is better then sand unless the temps drop into the teens, yes liquids are best for pre application, not they don't replace solids in all situations, yes back up cameras help, yes a deflector is a good thing, yes you should carry extra parts, including a shovel and tow strap. Yes you can "short chain" a direct lift, direct lift is faster to respond than a chain lift, yes Fishers and Meyer are Yellow, Boss and Western are Red, Snoway Black (or clear,) Blizzard blades are white, Yes a speedwing is bad to the bone, yes Palmer hates the Fisher Hinge pin, B&B (who pretty much jumped ship) is good with Boss and Chevy, Yes some winters suck, Seasonal contracts should be for 3 years or more, yes you should mix seasonal and per storm contracts. I know I missed things however I'm out of time but that's a start on snowplowing in a nutshell

#8 ·
basher;1489375 said:
Join SIMA take some of their classes attend some of the symposiums or trade shows that are held across the country. If you are going to run your own truck; yes it will need commercial insurance, yes you will need to claim it on your taxes, yes you should have liability insurance to protect yourself, yes devoted winter tires are best, yes two batteries are better but you only need one. Yes plowing is hard on the front end, the extra weight on axle bearings and load points consent steering resistance on steering components, yes timbrens help, yes you should carry a counter weight, yes you need contracts, yes wing/Vee blades are more productive, no you don't have to have one, yes a blinky light is important, yes markers are good, no you should not pile snow in front of non-paying driveways, yes you are on call 24/7 10/1though 4/15, yes 3/4 ton or better trucks with plow prep are best but 1/2 ton will work, no there is no law you have to buy Fisher in Maine, Trip edges do not save transmissions, full trip vees will trip but not as well a a trip edge, only Snoway has down pressure, Douglass Dynamics owns fisher, western, blizzard, Yes you plow on Christmas, salt is better then sand unless the temps drop into the teens, yes liquids are best for pre application, not they don't replace solids in all situations, yes back up cameras help, yes a deflector is a good thing, yes you should carry extra parts, including a shovel and tow strap. Yes you can "short chain" a direct lift, direct lift is faster to respond than a chain lift, yes Fishers and Meyer are Yellow, Boss and Western are Red, Snoway Black (or clear,) Blizzard blades are white, Yes a speedwing is bad to the bone, yes Palmer hates the Fisher Hinge pin, B&B (who pretty much jumped ship) is good with Boss and Chevy, Yes some winters suck, Seasonal contracts should be for 3 years or more, yes you should mix seasonal and per storm contracts. I know I missed things however I'm out of time but that's a start on snowplowing in a nutshell
That's every question on this site in a nutshell :laughing:

#11 ·
basher;1489375 said:
Someone needs to make this a sticky! It should be manditory that before you can ask a question you have to read this first. :laughing:

#14 ·
I set the cutting edge angle with a grinder, finish up with hand file for a nice smooth surface

#15 ·
Yes you should change your fluid every year, no you should not run ATF in any electric solenoid valve operated pump, a properly adjusted set of skid shoes will save on blade wear but result in lower psi loading across the scrape surface, use a gravel edge for gravel roads, all plows offer some form of drop speed adjustment, Ground and power directly from the battery, key the power supply to the controller, Back dragging a new wear edge about 100 yards will "set" the blade angle and reduce chattering, particularly important for poly, Caffeine is your friend, salt doesn't cause spalling poorly pour concrete does, Your not responsible for any lawn/landscaping that is not staked, yes you charge for stakes, to stack you simply continue to go forward while lifting the blade, the best way to remove the snow from in front of garage doors, dumpster, loading docks, etc is back dragging. yes you can wire extra reverse lights to work off both the reverse switch and a toggle on the dash, raise the blade as high as possible and angle for best cooling while traveling, always come to a complete stop before shifting the transmission, yes you still need insurance even if you are using your truck but plowing for someone else or just doing a couple driveways. Salt eats trucks, pre-coating with Fluid Film helps, Some chevy 2500HD need gussets, watch out for pump rub in others, dodge does pump fluid though the transmission in park so leave it in neutral while sitting still, the close your jobs are to one another the more time you spend with your blade on the ground making money, Fords have a ****** turning radius, under tailgate spreaders are the bomb on any size dump truck, Jeeps, short wheel base trucks, skid steers and tractors with blowers are best in driveways, If you drive for someone else in their vehicle you are and employee not a sub contractor, a good dealer is more important then the name of the plow, Don't work cheap the cost of operating in this business is greater then you think, Yes you should have a lawyer look at your contract, yes you should have a contract in the truck for the new customer, yes you need to keep log sheets, yes neighbor discounts are a good idea, flyers work but referrals are best, yes loud exhausts annoy the customer and their neighbors, beware of last minute calls that seem to good to be true, review national management group's contracts carefully and be aware of what you are signing, carry both a flat and pointed shovel, cary an extra pair of gloves or two, think about where you are gong to store snow, not just this storm but the ones to follow, Plow with the storm, you need a med card to cross state lines at 10,001 lbs combined, you need a CDL at 26,001 lbs combined, yes you can tow a trailer in the snow, Fisher and Meyer wear edges are interchangeable, as are fisher and western controllers. leveling kits raise the ride but don't increase the load capacity, counter weight goes behind the axle ballast goes anywhere, you need less counter weight than you do ballast, Not everything you hear on the internet is true, research the source before heeding someone's advice, Meyer has a particularly good section on how to move snow in the owner's manual available online, If you have a question try the search feature available in the forum menu, all these topics and more have been beaten to death, this is just a short synopsis.

#22 ·
basher;1489431 said:
dodge does pump fluid though the transmission in park so leave it in neutral while sitting still,.
not in my truck.

I have the "518" in my 92, and it pumps nothing in park, but full flow in neutral.....

Oh, BTW....

Thank you for your above posts. Made my day..... just like Clint Eastwood talking to an empty chair....:p

Longae29;1489470 said:
Best. Two. Posts. Ever.
Amen, Brother...... Posts of the "eternity", never mind the year.

#23 ·
basher;1489431 said:
Yes you should change your fluid every year, no you should not run ATF in any electric solenoid valve operated pump, a properly adjusted set of skid shoes will save on blade wear but result in lower psi loading across the scrape surface, use a gravel edge for gravel roads, all plows offer some form of drop speed adjustment, Ground and power directly from the battery, key the power supply to the controller, Back dragging a new wear edge about 100 yards will "set" the blade angle and reduce chattering, particularly important for poly, Caffeine is your friend, salt doesn't cause spalling poorly pour concrete does, Your not responsible for any lawn/landscaping that is not staked, yes you charge for stakes, to stack you simply continue to go forward while lifting the blade, the best way to remove the snow from in front of garage doors, dumpster, loading docks, etc is back dragging. yes you can wire extra reverse lights to work off both the reverse switch and a toggle on the dash, raise the blade as high as possible and angle for best cooling while traveling, always come to a complete stop before shifting the transmission, yes you still need insurance even if you are using your truck but plowing for someone else or just doing a couple driveways. Salt eats trucks, pre-coating with Fluid Film helps, Some chevy 2500HD need gussets, watch out for pump rub in others, dodge does pump fluid though the transmission in park so leave it in neutral while sitting still, the close your jobs are to one another the more time you spend with your blade on the ground making money, Fords have a ****** turning radius, under tailgate spreaders are the bomb on any size dump truck, Jeeps, short wheel base trucks, skid steers and tractors with blowers are best in driveways, If you drive for someone else in their vehicle you are and employee not a sub contractor, a good dealer is more important then the name of the plow, Don't work cheap the cost of operating in this business is greater then you think, Yes you should have a lawyer look at your contract, yes you should have a contract in the truck for the new customer, yes you need to keep log sheets, yes neighbor discounts are a good idea, flyers work but referrals are best, yes loud exhausts annoy the customer and their neighbors, beware of last minute calls that seem to good to be true, review national management group's contracts carefully and be aware of what you are signing, carry both a flat and pointed shovel, cary an extra pair of gloves or two, think about where you are gong to store snow, not just this storm but the ones to follow, Plow with the storm, you need a med card to cross state lines at 10,001 lbs combined, you need a CDL at 26,001 lbs combined, yes you can tow a trailer in the snow, Fisher and Meyer wear edges are interchangeable, as are fisher and western controllers. leveling kits raise the ride but don't increase the load capacity, counter weight goes behind the axle ballast goes anywhere, you need less counter weight than you do ballast, Not everything you hear on the internet is true, research the source before heeding someone's advice, Meyer has a particularly good section on how to move snow in the owner's manual available online, If you have a question try the search feature available in the forum menu, all these topics and more have been beaten to death, this is just a short synopsis.
Better add a disclaimer just to be safe....

*No further purchase or obligation necessary, void where prohibited by law, any portion of these comments can not be duplicated or resold, quantities are limited while supplies last, limit one complimentary set per family please; Not intended for off-road use. Best if used before expiration date. One size fits all. Packaged by weight, not volume: some settling may occur. Not recommended for children under 12, Some assembly required. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. If condition persists, consult your doctor. **

**disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other acts of God, neglect, damage from improper use, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized application, missing or altered components, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.); You may also have additional rights which vary from state to state, other restrictions may apply.

#25 ·
basher;1489375 said:
basher;1489431 said:
only 3 things to say to all that is
1 Wow Clap,clap, clap:salute:
2 a person could just sticky this & close the site, you answered all:laughing:
3 why should I not pile snow infront of nonpayers drives?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.