1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is plowing boring?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ajslands, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

ive talked to a bunch of guys and they alwways say " it looks fun no but once you've plowed for a few hours, it gets boring" or something like that. so are they right, does plowing get boring after like an hour or so?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

plowing does not get boring for me but it is blood money

3. Brucester1

Brucester1 Senior Member

no i don't find it boring. anyone who does shouldn't do it i guess. iceyman what do you mean "it's blood money"?

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

It can get boring if you have very simple basic lots.
    I like the lots where you have to think, move stuff around. One day you can plow it over to here, next time it might have to go over there. But all in all, I never get tired of it.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Yes. especially when you just plowed the lot then your back doing it again 2 hrs later...
    By the time winter ends it's a relief .....

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i guess it means alot of time, energy, and sweat goes into plowing....you can be out for 30 hours in a row,,,,you can get soaked to the bone in no time at all..... your basically on call for 5 months out of the year....but its also the only job i can get making 80 an hour... i love plowing but its not the easiest buck to make in the world and its not for the light hearted

7. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Boring? Isnt the only fun part of plowing trying to hit mailboxes and not get caught/charged? :nod: :rolleyes:

8. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

:laughing:hmm sounds like experience to me!! :laughing: but ive never been bored pushing, its more like a hobby/job for me!prsport better thandoing sidewalks IMO!

9. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

I enjoy it doesnt really get boring till all I want to do is sleep after pushing snow for 30+ hours straight then I had enough for that storm

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I don't really get bored, more tired of it. Half the time I feel stressed about something going wrong and keeping equipment working.

I try to keep trucks at a 5-6hr route also so no one has to be out for long hours. Plus if we are getting it heavy and we have to hit the route twice we don't piss any customers off because we haven't finished the first round.

11. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

:laughing:

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It doesn't get too bad, usually. The worst part is plowing by your self for a while. The night goes by much faster plowing with other people.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's boring when your only plowing 3-4 inches,throw a 2 footer in then it can be fun.

14. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

ya i agree with grandview the small storms can get boring but pushing 2 feet of snow never gets old

15. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

x3... the only time I really get tired of it is in the spring when I'm only pushing 6", but I have to move it around like it was 3' because I'm prep-clearing for the big wet dump. But basically, no. Plowing is a great time if you're into that sort of thing.

16. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I dont get bored plowing I think because of the stress but lawn mowing now that is mind numbingly boring.

17. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

plowing is never boring

18. B.Bells

B.Bells Senior Member

Thats it right there!!!!:laughing: cant stand to mow anymore... after 12 years of it nty that's what i have employee's for!!:laughing:

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It can get monotonous, especially big lots. I have a mix of comm/resis, so I get to break it up. Plowing a big storm is fun, as long as the timing is right, and it's not concrete. But no matter how late it is, I can drop the blade in the last road with the window down and smile. I love to watch the wave of snow roll off the blade, and the sound of crunching snow under the tires.

20. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

At this point in time....i despise it LOL!! It was fun years ago, and i dont view obsticles as fun, i view them as a MAJOR PITA since most lots have to have piles in one location due to logistics, and then have some late night working employee's with cars scattered through out, repair shops with customer cars scattered throughout...added time to the property which equates to less per hour since your there working around things....neck gets sore, legs get sore, pateince gets worn thin after many hours behind the wheel and idiots all around ya....

but, it's easy money compared to what i do for my construction biz so that's the only reason i like it...get to just go out and work with minimal brain activity, not spending hours putting bids together, working on my hands and knees, dirt in my eye's, hitting my fingers with a hammer, fixing screw ups, chasing homies for payments, etc....worst part is when equipment goes down, then it sends my world into a canundrum.

but in the big picture...for me anyhow, i dont look forward to it, i dont get excited at the forecast of snow...call it the "been there done that enough times attitude"....same job, different property...factory work after awhile.