1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is my tubro going??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by f350dieselemt, Jan 2, 2005.

1. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

Hey how is everyone and i hope u all had a good new years....i have one question.. i have a 99' F-350 SD/PSD 7.3L and i was just wondering how you can tell if your turbo is "going" breaking/broken?? all answers will be greatly apreaciated.....

Alex Kaplan
    Kaplan Landscaping
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

If you have never replaced the bolts that hold it together you can probably tell by looking that it is bad. The four bolts that hold the housing together are notorious for backing out on the 99'-02' PSD. The best way to fix it is to drill the bolt heads and wire them all together so they cannot back out again. Other than that little problem the turbo's last a long time. Is yours giving you trouble? If it is sounding like it stalls you might think about putting a "wicked wheel" in it. The turbo will perform a little better and not stall out with one.
  3. Tevi

Tevi Junior Member

Take the air tube going in to the turbo off and wiggle the wheel to see how much play in the wheel.If there is a lot it's goung.Upgrade to a Garret Ball Bearing turbo with an Amsoil air filter.It's one of the best mods I've done
  4. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

is my turbo going?

what does the stall sound like?

Is that the air rushing/sucking sound my engine makes on occassion, followed bythe truck failing to move more than 10mph for 1 to 30 minutes on my 7.3? It's done it 3 times in the 40 days I've owned it. Last episode was over 30 minutes and made me late to scrape a lot prior to the salter I was coordinating with laying down the material.
  5. Tevi

Tevi Junior Member

Could that be a fuel gel problem.Does it happen at the same time
  6. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

is my turbo going.

It did it last Friday afternoon. It was 35deg out. The truck had been running for 6 hours already.
  7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

When you are pulling hard and the rpm's drop off fast (shift or you let up) the turbo will make a screeching sound for just a second or two. It does not last more than a second.

The air rushing sound you are hearing is the EBPV. It sounds like it is malfunctioning if it is staying on that long. It should turn off if you are on the accelerator. The EBPV is a butterfly valve in the back side of the turbo that closes off the exhaust to aid in warming up the engine. I would guess that you either have a bad back pressure sensor or the small tube that runs from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the back pressure sensor is clogged. You can disconnect the EBPV where the wires plug into it on the turbo to make it quit slowing you down but if you want it to function you will have to find the problem. The wire to disconnect is a two prong plug on the bottom/front of the turbo. You can get to it by standing on the drivers side tire.
  8. Tevi

Tevi Junior Member

I talked to a good freind who is a Ford diesel mechanic and he said it sounds like the injection pressure control valve is sticking
  9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

And it controls the EBPV???? That air sucking sound he is hearing is the EBPV!
  10. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

My friend Don just had his 99 F-350 in the shop for the same problem you are having. His truck had a bad back pressure sensor as desribed above. He also had 2 injectors replaced. I don't know if the injectors were part of the problem or not.
  11. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I agree wit Crumm your EBPV is not working properly. Also what scuba875 said ties into the EBPV as well one of the sensors that controls the EBPV is the exhaust back pressure sensor.
    Tevi -I am interested in what specific info your friend based his diagnosis of a bad injector pressure controll valve on. The symptoms described do not indicate a bad IPC valve, just curious.
    F350dieselmt- you can unplug the EBPV and see if this cures your problem. There is a two wire plug under where the air inlet hose clamps onto the turbo, unplug it and see it it cures your problem.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005