1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my truck to big for drive plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gjplatt, Nov 1, 2008.

1. gjplatt

gjplatt Junior Member

I bought a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab dually last year for my construction company. I was going to get a plow but thought it was to late. Which was stupid since it snowed like 8 more times after I bought it. Anyway I am getting a plow for my truck this year. I have a couple commercial lots to plow this year but not enough to justify a plow. So I want to do drive ways too.
    So my question is if my truck is to big for driveways and if not what is a good length for my truck plow.

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You can do driveways with it but it will be a pain in the a$$. But you have it so give it a shot. I would stay away from circle driveways
  3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i think that it will be a little hard to do driveways with that rig,but if you get the right ones it would be doable. also your going to have to go with a larger blade since you have a dually or your outside rear wheels will be tracking in snow. id go with at least a 9' ft preferably a 9'2" BOSS V XT or regular 9'2" BOSS V
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

You need more lots...

Nice truck.
  5. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a F-350 crew cab dually and have to do my spec house drives with it in the winter. That truck is going to suck doing drives, it is just to big. You need just to much room to maneuver them. I would find more commercial lots!:D
  6. gjplatt

gjplatt Junior Member

Yeah I would love to do more Commercial lots but really do not know what to charge.. I have 2 commercial lots from friend deals and getting them for what they were done for by someone else. So not sure that is even a good price.

I want to make enough to pay the plow and buy a smaller Dodge Ram 3500 6' bed for next year drive ways. Something used of course.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I use a '07 2500 single cab with an 8' bed and it does great doing the drives for my company's rental properties, but if the truck were any bigger I'd have problems. Blade is a 8.5' Fisher HD Series.
  8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

honestly.....i would go with the new snoway Revo. :nod:

how 'bout it toby?

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I second PJ's comment.
  10. gjplatt

gjplatt Junior Member

Yeah i am going to look into the revo it looks like a nice commercial plow and look into just getting a 6' bed for drives. I bought this truck because i pull 3 pallets of concrete alot so needed the muscle and hell who does not like a big a$$ truck.
  11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know if an additional truck will suit your needs, but the short wheelbase pickup or Tahoe-equivalent had served me quite well in the past. Curved driveways are awesome with a short truck, and swiping snow off to one side in a driveway was much easier because of the turning radius.

Another angle to look at, if you have more $$ than you know what to do with, is to outfit both trucks for redundancy. Use the shorter truck primarily for plowing, but run the school bus for backup. Then should the work be enough to put your 1-ton on permanently, you have it ready to go anyway. It's a costly way to go (additional truck, 2 plows), but it takes money to make money.
  12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

That looks like a short box on there, yes? If so, I plow driveways with basically the same thing (quad cab Ram), but single rears. Yes, it sucks at times, but you just have to be picky about what drives you take. For example, I can't even plow my own driveway, too narrow plus narrow street means there are times I can't even get in the driveway with the plow on. But if you take bigger driveways with nothing on the sides, etc, you'll be alright.
  13. gjplatt

gjplatt Junior Member

Well I was hoping to outfit 2 trucks next year unless I use my ski mask in the bank =). So looking at craigslist for something to plow with for the winter for now. If I can not find something in a week or 2 I will just get a plow for my tank. It has an 8' bed on it too. I bought it for my carpenter contracting company not to plow. Just hoped could do 2 for one then relized it might be a bit big for plowing. Maybe I can put the latter racks on the beater. Sold my 1994 ford f350 dually quad cab with the ladder racks. Now that was a tank.