1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my price too high?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by empire, Jan 8, 2005.

1. empire

empire Member

I still cant believe this happened.I had just finished my route and my cell phone rings. A freind of mine who is a local contractor needs a job plowed.He says can you do it I say sure and head over to the site its a house. He is a builder and needs materials delivered.I look up and its on top of a 125 ft steep hill with a 30'x30' area on top all large gravel under heavy snow.I put my truck in 4low and made it up to the top after I back bladed the bottom. pushed the top to the sides and plowed down one side then went back to the top and plowed down the other side. It took me approx 1 hour total from the time I left to my return. I called him when I was done and he said he will call me back I said ok.After 4-5 hours I called him and said can I get paid? he said sure how much? I told him $50.00.should have been $75 but hes a friend.yea.He says wow thats steep.I said no your job site is steep and it would be $50.he said ok. this morning he calls and says that if i don't lower my price I cant do the roof on the house or do bussiness with him I said fine mail me my f---n check.Do you guys think my price is too high? your opinions please
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'd charge more than that if it was me. I'd tell your friend to go screw himself.
  3. drplow

drplow Senior Member

I'm sure that if you take the money and walk away that he will call you back after the next guy plows it for 75.
  4. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

YOU haven*t LOST a Freind! as HE never was your freind! & I*LL Bet He likes to Get PAID for Whatever He Does!--He was In a Bind & YOU went & Plowed Your Butt OFF!-HO HO some Freind?--I*D tell HIM too KISS OFF!--& If? He ever Calls AGAIN?--SAY YES! & Go back & watch TV!--Pay back is a Real *****!--Freind MY A$$!--Ole JIM--

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have cleared lot's for builder's before as well. I charged 100 bucks per house's lot no drive/back blading only.

Not only is it rocky/stoney/dirt/sand/mud mix it takes 4 or 5 time's as long to do. They need it cleared for deliveries and parking most times.

Never had one complain about price. Seem's we all have more "friends" when snow is on the ground. If this guy is a builder ask if he would remodel your bathroom/kitchen for 50 bucks. Or better yet ask how much work he himself warrent's for 50 bucks.

Tell him your price went up to 100 as a friend would not use work deferments as a means to get somthing for nothing. Next time he call's ,even if is a job other than plowing, increase your price on whatever it is he has for you. Is plenty of work around of all types and ass' like that need to be made aware of it.
  6. cc2004

cc2004 Member

There is nothing at all wrong with your price.We do a lot of work for builders too and i'll tell ya,there nothing but a pain when it comes to getting paid.
    They know your number when they need something but,they forget it when it comes to the money.He's probably thinking that if you want to keep working you'll do the drive that 1 time for nothing.

:gunsfiring: Builders.
  7. empire

empire Member

It feels good to know that I was right about this and we all feel the same.I was up for 16 -17 hours and I thaught I was loosing it. payup
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've got one kind of like that - mine is steep uphill 50' with a 15'x15' parking at the top. $65. I don't need to go to 4L, but it's a struggle for a one ton with a half loaded Vbox. For 125', it'd be more like $125. Tell your buddy you'll be willing to come back to plow after he's checked around with other plow guys. But the price will be $75 for every 4". Tip - don't let it build up.
  9. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

some people

there is only one person who can make money on that job site....HIM! I bet that he goes through subcontractors like toilet paper.
  10. empire

empire Member

yea He does The only reason I did work for him is I have known him all my life.I should have seen this one coming.I was too tired. :angry:
  11. mistydowg

mistydowg Junior Member

Dude! He's Not A Friend!

Oh my gawd! i feel so bad that you are having problems. I live in N.H., and I bill out $85-$90/hr, and that includes any travel time. I tell my customers that. Just last week, my neighbor who lives just across the street from me, who is a true friend & also cleans my heating system every year (I pay him whatever he demands ~ only cuz he is thorough and extremely dedicated!) ~ asked me to plow his long driveway, 10-15" snow. He wanted a bill, so I billed him $25. He paid me immediately, and the next day, his 12 yr old daughter rang my doorbell, and gave me a thank you card, with a $60 GC to home depot! I never anticipated that!!!

Now.....that's a GOOD FRIEND! :-Þ
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

He used you and abused you- I would get minimum of $85 for what you describe and that's with 3-4 inches on the ground- the more snow there when he called me the higher it gets. We all know how much work it it on the trucks to do that kind of thing.
    Sounds like you should have a talk with him about the rest of the bill he ows you and remind him that you expect better of him since you have known him all your life.
    I have parted company with many friends because of situations like that- sometimes we stay aquantences, but I always remember how far to trust them and they always get treated differently after that.

BTW sounds like you need to find a new boss and stop subbing for that loser.
  13. bdemir

bdemir Member

Just forget about it until he needs you and make sure you go over how much and when you are getting paid. Just dont forget that you have to be awake or dont deal with these type of people. They will almost always take you for something. Try to find better people to work for. I would not do his roof if i were you. Probably more problems up ahead. And you have to stand your ground with these type of people. They are looking for suckers like you. Its a game to see who will bend over backwards and then they will take you for what ever they can.

14. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Did they not teach you punctuation in school?
  15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

When you asked hime for the check, you should have told him to put a little grease in the envelope with it. Or at least told him to kiss you before he stuck it to you.

Drop him as a friend, and cross him off the Christmas card list!

You did the right thing...
  16. empire

empire Member

17. all seasons

all seasons Member

the nerve of some people

what a *****,man you hook a friend up and you get crap.the price you gave this jerk for what you are describing is fantastic,he has no reason to complain,i would not do a thing for this guy after he treated you like that. :mad: