1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is my price off?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by allagashpm, Aug 22, 2013.

1. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Hey guys so this is my second year and after last years winter I have been getting a lot of calls from refferals from my customers. I did about 15 driveways and one parking lot and learned a lot along the way. I gave an estimate the other day for a guy who has a right of way which is probably 3 tenths of a mile, and it has severe dips, plus his driveway off the right of way. The driveway there is no where to push and will be a Pita. I told him 75 total and he flipped. Said the last guy was doing it for 35. Turns out it was another landscaper but I couldn't beleive the price. And I dont think he was lying. Where would you guys be on this ? Am I too high ? Thank you and sorry for the long winded post
  2. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

In my area that would be cheap.... I don't know about Maine?
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO 75 is still low for what a PITA that sounds like.
  4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Interesting. I had a typo it is 2 tenths not 3 sorry. I know all markets have different pricing I just wasnt sure how off I was. Thank you for the replies
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

your hr wage/charge X how long it will take in good & bad weather = what you need to charge.
  6. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

you are correct.. Tell him to go ask a teenager with a shovel. OOr do it yourself.
  7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

if the other guys price was so good why is he leaving?
  8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Because the other guy went broke working to cheap and had to sell his plow to pay the rent.
  9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The term "Landscaper" is very loosely thrown about in our area. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry is a "Landscaper". Your pretty close for our area.... I would have done it for $100 (if it was close to my route)..... but at every 8" , so he'd have been billed multiple times during large events... If they don't want to pay that, then move on, as there are pleanty of folks that will pay for quality service...stick to your guns!
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2
  11. plowme.com

plowme.com Junior Member

ask him if he would rather buy a $50k truck and a $7k plow and spend the time to do it himself. your price is good if not low. There is a reason he came to you and not the $35 landscaper from last year