1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my price for this lot good for me and client?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by SixStar, Nov 10, 2006.

1. SixStar

SixStar Junior Member
    from Boston

Looking for comments on how you would price this. I am looking for a way to do productivity rate based pricing but not having much luck.

We will be plowing this with a Chevy 2500HD w 8' Boss trip edge. 2" trigger and replow every 3". All paved lot except for some straight 3' x 40' dirt patches from DPW work. Circle at right of building in picture is not our responsibility. Driveway in from there and the lot at the bottom, the left and the top are our responsibility In the bottom portion of the lot you will notice a 90 degree angled black line that denotes a now fenced in area we wont be plowing. The bottom and left side require very little detail and there are very few cars ever in the lot. However, the top portion requires detailed work. there are 2 ramped loading bays and 3 docks along with a 30' container in the lot.

I figure this property to take 45 minutes per side for a 2-3" accumulation. Should I quote the client 1 hour per side to be safe? I would be going from 2hr 15m up to 3hrs with that shift. I figure based on 3 hours I will charge $300.00 for plowing and $150.00 plus materials for salt/sand (based on estimated porductivity rate of half the time of plowing). Am I correct about alll or any of this pricing in your judgement?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

10 Micro Drive v3.GIF

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

You cant plow that in 45 minutes son.

or 1.5 hours if you add both lots.

Unless you're going 70 miles an hour.

Id re evaluate your time on that account, and do the math on your salt because unless you get salt for free, 150 seems very low.

That being said, so I dont get my shoes busted by the demographics guys, I dont know the going rates in your area.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Let me get this straight first before I give answers.So every concrete area in the picture except for the circle area is your responsibility?

RCGM
    Brad

4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Your kidding rite?

you'll need a decent sized skid steer or loader with trucks to tackle that,its about an hour and a half - two hours to plow about two acres with a truck depending on snow amounts.

as with the above poster i'm not aware of going rates around Boston but i'd probably tipple that $300 if I were you,$300 for that whole lot seems low,even your salting bid seems very low.

5. SixStar

SixStar Junior Member
    from Boston

Really longer than 45-60 minutes per side?

Do you really think that it will take more than 45-60 minutes per side? Maybe the scale of this place looks bigger in that picture but I can tell you that the length of 1 side of the building is not more than 200-250 feet. I was figuring 1 side should take no more than an hour max and charging a $100 ($300 for the whole thing) per side was pretty good cake. I figure that an average storm is going to warrant 2 or 3 pushes per event which is $300 x push) $600-$900 per storm.

Yeah, I can see your point about the salting. I was figuring it might take about half the time to salt with a commercial spreader as it does to actually plow it. So $150 per salting plus the materials (inlcuding my 15% markup) is not good? Should I charge the same and figure the same productivity rate for the salting as I do for my plowing, plus my materials cost? Thanks.

6. SixStar

SixStar Junior Member
    from Boston

Clarification on area.

No, we are not responsible for all concrete areas. The building in the center and the parking lot surrounding it are the only thing we are responsible for. Thanks.

7. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

If and I say if it is only the building in the middle with me looking at the picture you have a lot at the bottom of the picture and a lot at the left of the picture that is it.Correct.I could plow that in approx 1 hour 45 minutes with a 3 in storm.But I have been doing it a while.I would plow that lot just the 2 sides for 300 hundred.Thats no walks no salt.Walks and salt is extra.Your salt bid is to low.

RCGM
    Brad

8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I forgot to say 300 would be for 300 hundred for up to 3inches then I would go a per inch price there after.I don't do seasonal prices I charge per inch.I only do seasonal on my customers driveways and I send a close friend out with a snowblower to do about 15 drives takes about 5 hours for him.

RCGM
    Brad

9. SixStar

SixStar Junior Member
    from Boston

Thanks RCGM and Others.

Brad and others, thanks for the great conversation. I know that everyones area has different threshold for price and work. But all the talking helps to point in the right direction. Thanks again. I don't know what I would do without this site. It's made a big difference for a newb like me.