1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is my plow to low??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by E&M, Jan 6, 2009.

1. E&M

E&M Junior Member

I have a GMC Sierra 2500hd with a 6.0. I took it to a Western shop to install a mvp plus 8'6'' and wanted to know if it's normal for the ultramount to scrape the ground when turning into an alley or driveway? its that something anyone is familiar with? need a feed back!!
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Just push your wings forward a little bit and you'll be fine. On my truck if I have the wings fully retracted the tips are only an inch or two off the ground so I just bump them out a little bit.

Nothing to stress about.
  3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That really IS not that uncommon...Also, are your T bars cranked? On most V plows. it isn't uncommon to want to put the wings out just a hair to raise the tips.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Does the mount scrape or the blade?
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You plow is not to low You chevy is too low
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

it seems to be a common thing with the newer chevy trucks. In Ottawa here I've seen two of them this week going over the slightest bumps on the road & sparks fly everywhere!
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

He said mount, not plow.

He said mount, not plow.

Finally, someone who read the post before answering. Gold star.
  8. JDiepstra

Unfortunately this is probably the right answer. You should not have to crank up t-bars to carry your plow, unless you don't mind the added wear and tear.
  9. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Thats how they squeeze the mileage out of them. Absolute POS!!!!!!
  10. E&M

E&M Junior Member

yeah, i lift the wings but the mount scrapes the ground too. i have the snow pre pkg on my truck that includes: increased capacity springs, roof lamp provisions, 145 amp alternador and skid plates. so i figure that something is wrong because i have increase springs.
  11. JDiepstra

Honestly man your plow may just be too heavy for your IFS. Lots of people say "crank up your t bars", and for some that solves the problem of the plow scraping, but causes other problems.
  12. E&M

E&M Junior Member

whats IFS? it looks like its my front suspension? any other suggestions?
  13. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Timbrens....we installed them on our POS 1500 and the truck only drops an inch when you lift the blade.
  14. JDiepstra

Yes, Independant Front Suspension. You are correct. It just sits low and doesn't hold as much weight as a solid axle.
  15. E&M

E&M Junior Member

The guys at the shop should've know that was going to happen. But i guess they just wanted the money. is there anything i can do to fix this problem? thanks for ur help.
  16. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding...I was thinking it was just the tips. It must be my amazing powers of observation kicking in again with my fine reading skills.:D Anyway, as mentioned above, look into some Timbrens.
  17. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Timbrens fricking rock. Put a set in, your Ultramount and truck will thank you.
  18. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

They hear you coming? Thats normal for a chevy to drag her nuckles.
  19. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

What about a larger diameter tire?
  20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

There are a couple of things...

1) Crank up the torsion bars
    2) Timbrens
    3) Ballast.... no one has even asked if you have ballast in the back of your truck... This is the most common problem... Westen recommends a minimum of 550lbs for a 2500hd ext. cab with the 6.0l