1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my old plow too heavy for my new truck

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stovestoker, Feb 12, 2008.

1. stovestoker

stovestoker Junior Member

Hello to all. I have a conventional 8' pro plow on my '88 1/2 ton suburban and I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be too heavy for a '97 gmc 1500 ext cab.Western suggests I use a midweight plow on this truck.I am just trying to upgrade to a newer truck that plows 5 driveways and my shop's lot.Any info is appreciated. Thank you.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Member

Might be ok with it, but I'd suggest getting a Unimount for it. If you're not looking to spend alot of $$$, a whole setup can be purchased rather cheap.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

if it is toss some timbrens on it, and throw like 600-700 pounds in the bed to balance it out.
  4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

It should be ok, my 97 1500 holds my 7 1/2 uni pro just fine. 400# ballast and I'm off n plowing.
  5. stovestoker

Thanks for all the info so quick. I appreciate it. Now I'll try to find a mount for the new truck and if not I'll fabricate my old one to fit. Thanks again.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

What's the big deal...1/2 ton chevy to 1/2 ton chevy?
  7. doh

doh Senior Member

I have a 97 1500 with an 8' pro unimount on it with no problems.
  8. stovestoker

I wasn't sure . my old burban has 3 leaf springs up front. I am new to the whole torsion bar setup.
  9. rbs299

rbs299 Junior Member

I dont know if you can tighten the torsion bars, but if you can, your plow wont sag so bad and you will be fine. I have 2 new chevy trucks and my front ends sagged so bad bc of the weight, all I had to do was tighten the torsions bars and now I am good to go.
  10. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

The torsion bars will tighten, just make sure you do an even amount on each side and go get a front end alignment.