1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my insurance company screwing me?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 4x4Farmer, Dec 13, 2012.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

So long story short..the other day I got rear ended while I was sitting at a red light. Lady cracked out on drugs driving with suspended license with no insurance slams into the back of me at 30mph. I need a new side panel on the drivers side box, bumper and tailgate. yeah it sucks that it goes on my insurance now but what are you going to do. The question I have is after the accident I noticed my weatherguard tool box lid is tweaked and it hits when you try to close it. You have to push hard on it to get it to latch and then you have to pry up on it to try to open it. So the body shop was talking to my insurance company and they want them to try to straighten it out. I feel they should just replace the damn thing. There is a reason I bought the best of the best of all toolboxes. I guess I just feel after a accident nothing is ever the same. Something always is rattling or squeaking or dosent line up. Im going to keep fighting with them on this one. What do you guys think?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

well that your problem, you bought one thats to heavy duty, so it's repairable & too expensive to replace, lol JK imo all insurance agentcies screw you.
  3. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Forget the toolbox. I would tell them you want a new truck, that will never be the same either.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I hate insurance companies however, I'd have to agree that it should be tweaked some so it opens and closes right. Is the tool box brand new as in you just bought it and installed it? If not then there's no reason they should replace it WITH a new one. Maybe find a used one to replaced the used one that's tweaked, or just have them twist it back to normal.
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

keep fighting!

on a side note... price out your lid on your box from your local WG dealer, might just have to take the check from the ins company and add a few dollars on a new box.
  6. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How's your neck and back feeling?$$$$
  7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

sounds like they will pay 80% toward a new toolbox if they cant straighten the old one. Hope they cant! lol
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just make sure somewhere on the the police report it said her fault.Then when you go for the claim you should be able to request it be replaced.:hidden damage" Don't go though your insurance. You already got a zero paid out claim on you.
  9. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Here is a little fact for ya, you are insured, you pay your agent for coverage, you got hit, at no fault to you. It is the insurance companies responsibility to repair or replace to your satisfaction the damaged items! They are in turn responsible to seek reimbursement from the individual for incurred damage !! Do not settle for less, the truck and box were not damaged or bent or sticking prior to the accident, nor should they be now !! This is why we all get to pay rediculous amounts of money for the " just in case accident " , it's time for them to PAY UP and not offer a percentage. Been there done that ! :gunsfiring:
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

this is my one hand......

All of this (motioning my hand in a big circle payup ) is the other hand and it's saying dig deep, push hard and get as much as you can out of the ordeal. Don't sign off on anything until you have everything back to normal. Then when they send you a settlement paper that says they'll give you "X" amount to "close" the case. Tell them they're crazy and to more then double the amount on them to settle. Heck you might even get 4x the money offered. As Nighthawk said, been there, done that.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  11. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Thanks for the advise guys. That was my thought. I pay a premium every month for a situation like this and now that I need to use it they are jerking me around. The insurance company is suppose to be working for me...not the other way around. I wont back down!
  12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Yep, I just went down this road with my Yukon last month. I got T-boned (totaled, Not my fault) and had to fight to keep my undercarriage and wiring to my plow. They were going to deduct $750 for that stuff because they said it was part of the "plow package". I did my whole claim through emails rather than phone and was able to better get my point across to them because I wasn't stumbling around for words. It really ticked me off when they told me that in Michigan, we are a no fault state and it is not their problem that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and it was my responsibility to pay for that stuff. Needless to say, I did come out ahead and received over double what I paid for the truck (a year and a half ago) and kept the undercarriage and wiring when it was all said and done. JUST KEEP FIGHTING and be bull headed to the claims people if you have to.
  13. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Vogel Law Firm 701-237-6983. Might want to sue the city too, after all you wouldn't have had that accident if they didn't put that light there
  14. grandview

Don't have your insurance pay for it. As I said it will count against you even if they collect from the other insurance company. Find out who their adjuster is get their estimate then go get your own.They can't force you to go with theirs
  15. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I dunno how it works elsewhere, but a the fault lays 100% on someone who rearends you in MA.
  16. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I think you missed this part.

17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

I had a wreck last summer (11). Not my fault.

Not knowing better I allowed the tow company to tow it to their yard.

The next time this happens as long as I'm conscience enough I will demand the vehicle be towed to my yard.
    I own both of my work trucks out right. So this shouldn't be a problem.

After going thru an insurance claim before I'll have things like the truck side mounts etc removed from my truck before they ever get around to settling the claim.

I had a very heavy duty front bumper replacement that was not totaled but the ins company was not going to give me any thing for the bumper. I told them that either they paid for it or I was taking it off.
    The adjuster told me to get with it, he didn't care since they weren't paying for it any way.
  18. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Some times that takes time to show up.

My wife got rearended about a year ago.
    She still has a lot of problem with it. Similar situation, the other driver had a suspended license because of prior DUI.
    No insurance. We've been fighting with ours to cover her medical needs.
    She needs to go to physical therapy but they don't know if they are going to pay for it BS.
  19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Right, but a no fault means that even if your own ins co pays you and doesnt get any money from the people who hit you, it still doesnt count against you......
  20. grandview

Yes it does,it's called an ICE claim.