1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my fuel pump going out?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Feb 21, 2008.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Lately the fuel pump on my 98 K3500 has been making some wierd noises. It goes back and forth from sounding normal to having a higher pitch sound. I just bought the truck back in Nov. so I don't know if the pump has ever been changed out. The fuel pump in my 98 K1500 has never sounded like this. Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many trucks out there do that Wayne, some seem to be temp or "gas brand" related. Others just seem to change "pitch" for no reason at all but continue to live a long service life for years.

Others die without warning. Just the luck of the draw in many cases.

Keep an ear out for it now that you aware of the sound..

Or, if the pump has a lot of miles or age on it and your not the gambling type you may want to consider just replacing it now. But don't be surprised if a new GM replacement pump changes pitch as well...
  3. mnz28

mnz28 Member

Im not sure on the pick up trucks but on my blazer it was changing tones. I ended up dropping the tank and replacing it to be safe. The pump might have been fine but the sock was partially clogged. It was just a matter of time before it was going to get plugged up anyway.
  4. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I have never heard a fuel pump sound like this one started doing. I may change it out when it gets warmer if it doesn't die first. I did end up changing out the pump on my 98 K1500 when the pump when from barely noticable to very loud and I was afraid it was about to go out. Thanks again.

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

My fuel pump went out on my02 I replaced it with a cheap one from autozone. It whines you can hear it in the truck with the windows up but, it's still working(knock wood)
  6. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

haha you too?....those dam after market pumps sound like a GB....
  7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

...Mine whines or kinda buzzes until it gets up to pressure at shut off and then sounds like a buzzing pump under pressure and shuts off and when I start it it buzzes again.........no big deal.

Mine is in tank so it is a little pricey to have a shop fix it ~ $300 including pump and labor, it might be easy to swap out but I wasn't groven on the electric/gas combo

good luck:salute:
  8. yancy

yancy Senior Member

change the filter that can help some times.
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Hope you have better luck with those than me, I put one in my truck, then replaced it 13 months later with another, replaced that one 7 months later...and when that one went bad after 8 months, said heck with it. Got tired of taking the box off (though I am getting good at it as tank and sending unit have also gone bad) so I went to the dealer and got myself a GM pump. Not one problem yet (knock on wood)
  10. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

When I changed out my pump on the 98 1/2 ton, I did use a GM pump. Everyone told me not to use the aftermarket pumps. I've got close to 70,000 miles on this pump so far.