1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my customer crazy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hamilton5, Mar 2, 2006.

1. hamilton5

hamilton5 Junior Member

I have been plowing for two years now, and only do residential driveways. I've never really had a problem, but this year one of customers is accusing me of cracking her concrete driveway with my plow. She says that where I plowed up some of her grass (I plowed up the grass because she requested that I push the snow way back off of her driveway, and I warned her that in some spots there might be some damage to the turf) the water got under the driveway and cracked it. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? and what was the outcome if so. Thanks .

2. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I would say its highly unlikely that you plowing up some grass allowed this to happen. Have you taken any pictures of the site or been out to look at her claim? Thats the problem with concrete, it looks nice when its new and clean but once it cracks(which it usually does) it looks bad. Ask her where the water went when the grass was there. Did she think it disappeared cuz of the grass?

PS I would say yes shes crazy

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, she's crazy if she really believes that water got under a concrete driveway from plowing up some grass on the side of it. It might have gotten under there from poor landscaping which prevented run off. But even then, I'd question that it would cause a "frost heave". One way to look at it, if you actually wanted to go this far, would be to look at the crack itself. Are both sides of the crack higher than the surrounding surface? This would indicate that it was in fact "pushed up" causing the crack. If not, then it wasn't caused from something underneath (a forming volcano would also cause this:jester: ). If the cracked area is at an angle to the traffic pattern, would you have the plow angled and dropped it there? Is the crack "chipped"? If not, then the plow couldn't have caused it, either. Even with all that, I wouldn't just accept responsibility. How old is the concrete? Maybe this is just natural settling. The other thing is quality. I'd want the concrete examined to see if it was inferior to start with. Does someone there operate heavy equipment on it? Did they use salt on it?

Actually, I doubt that I've ever seen a concrete driveway that wasn't cracked.

My basement and garage floors were poured by a very good contractor, but they still cracked. I'd like someone to blame, too. Maybe I can blame the furnace repair guy cause he walked on it. All those heavy tools must have cracked my delicate concrete floor.:rolleyes:

4. snatchal

snatchal Member

I have been pouring concrete driveways and sidewalks for 30 years since I started working for my father when I was a kid. ($2.50 an hour in 1975)
    They all crack eventually or get eaten up by salt. She is trying to get a free driveway out of you. At this time of year the crack is wider at the top than the bottom. After the frost comes out of the ground in the spring it will probably settle back down to a hairline crack. I'm willing to bet that the crack was there before you ever plowed. The same thing would have happened if the drive was hand-shoveled and the grass on the side was never disturbed.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

6. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

tell her to get lost, i hate when the residentail accoutns get pissy, i deal with this every seaosn , just look the other way....+ u should'NT be ripping grass anyway, angle the plow up, lucky there wasnt a sprinkler head there!:dizzy:

7. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

there is a clause in my contract that says i am not liable for property damage or damage to vehicles not parked in a pre determined location(usually the garage) you should add it into your contract

8. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Duuuuh

Does this wowmen think that Grass stops Water from going into the ground HAAAAAAAA LOL tHATS A GOOD ONE
    Ibeleive that the drive way has heaved due to frost and will come down when the warmer weather gets here
    Like the getelman stated...All concrete drive and garages all crack///Thats why they put saw cuts in them say every 10 ' or so and that is so it will crack right were the saw cut is and you wont see it
    The car will never fall through the driveway from it
    Hee hee Yaa gota luv thos ole beaches:rolleyes: xysport

9. hamilton5

hamilton5 Junior Member

Thanks everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replys, it was all very helpful. I talked to a few cement contractors in the area, and they all said she was nuts, too. I guess it's just a hazard of the business!