1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my controller fried?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have a 8 ft western uni-mount with a hand held controller, and last night while plowing, I lost the left angle function. So I did the quick "field test" checked the connections, pushed it up against something and tried to angle it.

No go, something I noticed, was that when I try to angle left, i dont here anything trying to click or engage like I do when i go up down and to the right. If i push on something the plow will go to the left a little bit by pure force, and I am able to angle it all the way to the right with no problem. So I am thinking I fired my controller, since it isnt even trying to engage the solenoids ( I don't here it anyways?

SO before I try and do something i have no clue what i a am doing LOL, does this sound like the controller is fried or could it be a bad wire or a valve?:help::help:

2. Scenic Lawnscape

oh yeah it is a joy-stick controller if that makes a difference

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a test for the controller

testcontroller ABCDE.jpg

testcontroller ABCDE.jpg

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the pump run when the left function is pressed? I'd assume so.

Did you check for magnetism on both the S2 and S3 coils while a helper holds the left angle function? If not, thats where you want to start.

5. Scenic Lawnscape

nothing happens when i try to use the left function,no pump noise, no click, no valve noise.

What is the best way to check for magnetism?

6. twinman326

If u apply 12v to the valve you will hear a clicking noise. Use a wire from the battery, and take off the color wire and apply 12v. The black/orange wire is a ground wire. When 12v is applied, use a screw driver to see if the valve magnetism(screw driver will stick to the valve). If it does, then the valve is working.

7. twinman326

Here is a test procedure

(this is pg35)
    joytest.jpg

COIL TEST

joytstA.jpg

joytest.jpg

joytstA.jpg

8. Scenic Lawnscape

i will try this tomorrow, I will have to bundle up since I cant get in the garage right now and it is supposed to be in the teen's for the high BRRRR

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the pump doesn't even run then the controller isn't even sending the signal to the motor relay to activate it when the left angle function is pressed let alone sending a signal to the coils on the pump. So it's a good chance you probably have a faulty controller.