1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my battery getting weak?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BPK63, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Not sure how to test this. E47, go to lift and the truck wants to stall. The alt meter has always dipped when I lift it over the years but now if I don't rev the engine a little it will stall. Seems to start fine, I put new battery cables on the truck a month ago and new cables on the pump. Otherwise seems to work fine. The engine is idling a little low and I'm wondering if that's it. 5 year battery probably going on 4 years old.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

e-47

:salute:put a amp gauge on the plow motor ,and find out if and how much the truck is charging ,it could be a lot of thing's or one ,process of elimination .

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck

JR

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

It's a 92 Chevy K1500. Seems to be charging fine. Starts fine. I'm wondering if the idle is just too low when it warms up.

5. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

OK I could really use some ideas as this problem seems to be getting worse. Put the plow back on last night as we were expecting snow that didn't come. Anyway, even with the truck cold and at a fast idle, when I lift the plow the alt guage really drops fast and the truck wants to die. The plow seems to be working fine, the truck runs fine, starts fine. Just seems to be a big draw. In the past years the alt meter would dip down but never this quickly that the truck wanted to stall. As soon as I let off the toggle the engine picks right back up again. Only thing different is that I put new connections on the battery this year. It had side terminals that went into these steel lugs and then they went into the battery. They were rusted pretty bad, so I put some terminals on the top posts and reconnected everything that way. Can't see how that would mess anything up though. Thanks for any input.

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Your alternator could be going too, also, you can check your battery or put in 2 batteries.

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Your plow motor could be starting to poop out and drawing too much. Does the plow motor get extra hot.

8. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

i added a second battery and a high amp alternator and that took care of my volt drop ,it still drops some but not half as bad

9. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Plow motor seems to work fine, in fact I have a spare that I tried and have the same results. One thing I noticed while plowing yesterday, when in 4 low with the engine obviously reving a lot more I don't have the problem. I saw a post where somebody said to put a smaller pulley on the alternator. I guess I'll either have to look at that or an upgraded alt next season and dual batteries.

10. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

if you put in a smaller pulley it will slow it down and make the issue worse youll have to rev it up everytime you stop,check for vacume leaks ,you might have a higher ide in park but when you stop you lose some of that vacume thru the brakeing which would cause a stall
    sound more like weak alternator though ,a second battery is a easy install and fairly cheap that with a high output alternator will make a big diffrence if theres not some other issues causing low idle

11. KWest

KWest Junior Member
    from MA

A smaller pulley on the alt will speed it up, but if the alt is getting bad, it's only a matter of time.

12. tattoofever

tattoofever Member

smaller pulleys slows things down giving more horse power ,ive never done just the alternaer
    but on my mustang it was the crank ,waterpump,alternater combined ,and that slowed things down a bit

13. KWest

KWest Junior Member
    from MA

Smaller drive pulleys slow things down, smaller driven pulleys speed up whatever is being driven

14. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Before going through the work and $$ for an alternator check your wire from your battery to your pump. Make sure that the connections are clean. Have someone help you and use a volt meter and check the amps through the wire when raising the plow.