1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my altenator big enough??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 76chevyman, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

Hi there all. last year i coverted to hydro electric and i through in duell 1000 amp batteries with a 80 amp altenator. The altenator lasted me a month. it was the end of season so i didnt worrie about it till now. My friend rewound it to 100amp he said thats all the state allowed . Which is the first i herd of that. But im woundering will 100 amp with duell 1000 amp batties be good enough. or should i spend the money and get a 200 amp altenator. Much thanks to all:salute:
  2. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Let's see now:

- A State regulation on limiting the amperage of an alternator
    - friend rewound the old unit to yield 100amps (a difference of only 20amps)
    - two 1000amp batteries in the scheme of things

The question you need answered is:
    Can you trust your friend, and if he did the battery wiring/isolation for you, has that been done properly?
  3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I better not drive in CT since I have a 145 from the factory. :confused: Maybe thats all he can squeeze outa it?

200 would be overkill, you can get bigger ones than 100 that arnt that big. a 100 with dual batteries should do ok depending on what else you have got. What kinda warning lights, running anything else that would be a big electric drain? Big stereo?

If you got an old smallblock alt upgrades are cheap and easy....you could even put duals on it pretty easy.
  4. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Your friend is mistaken. Gm sends 145 amp alt. on all of their plow prep packages sold at dealer lots all over Ct.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The peak amp output of an alternator means nothing.It may be rated at 100 amps,or 200 amps,but can it put that out all night,once it's hot,trying to charge two batteries ? No

You need a larger frame alternator.Producing more amperage creates heat,and the smaller alternators can't deal with the extar heat and get hot.When they get hot,the output drops off,and they eventually burn out.I bet if you measured the hot output of that 100 amp unit,you'd be lucky to sustain 30-40 amps.

So if you get a high output alternator,get a larger frame or case style alternator that will support the extra output.
  6. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

Beleave me i didnt beleave the state only allowed 100 amps. I installed the batteris myself. and sence he has a person in his shop to do alenators i had him do it. I only run a twin rotating becan 7 amp draw. i just have a cd player with two speakers i had a 600 watt amp but i took that out. I run a 1976 chevy K20 with a 4-speed LOW 350 4barrel 650 cfm edelbrock should i make any inprovements to my electrical much thanks to all
  7. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

The altenator i got rewound is a larger fram altenator i had to make a new mount for it its like twice the size then my stock one. I bought it at 80 amps and it went i got it rewound to 100amps. I just dont want to replace the altenator every month this year any inout would be great thank you:salute:
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the alt was a larger case style,then I would suspect something was not done correctly inside.Rewinding is not the only thing that needs to be done to increase output reliably.I would suspect the original 80 amp rectifier assy probably couldn't take the heat.
  9. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

I havent run it sence it was rewound. So i dont know if it will hold up but i dont think it will. i have real low gearing even without 4low so the RPMs are always up there. Were can i get a 145amp altenator. for a 350 running v-belts? Should i take out one batterie? Should i put in a resister?
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Keep both batteries.Take your rewound unit to a good alternator shop and have them test the continuious hot output to see if it's any good.
  11. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Now we're cookin' with gas!;) :drinkup:
  12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm no alternator engineer here but is it possible his friend meant that the Stator would only allow x-amount of amps?Or am i just part of the joke now:dizzy: :jester:
  13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

If I were to install dual alternators, how would I wire them up.

Run everything in parallel?
  14. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just wire them in parallel.They will both charge at the exact same rate.
  15. fiftycav

fiftycav Junior Member

I m running a 99 Yukon with a 7.5 foot meyers e 60 on it . Last year I ran it with a 90 amp and one battery. I lost the alt. this summer and put a 105 in it. I only had the plow on it for 2 seasons and the has about 70k miles on it, time for the alt to go any way. The truck is running good now and reads about 13 on the battery gauge while lifting or angling the plow. It seems to be the right combo for the truck and plow.
  16. RacerX

RacerX Junior Member

how can you tell what the alternator is rated at in terms of output ?

17. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

I think to determine the real output u have to bring it to napa or autozone and pUt it on a bench tester i could be wrong but i know thats oneway
  18. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I run a single 900 amp spiral cell battery and an 80 amp alt in my 88 chevy 1/2 ton with western elec/hydro unit with a 4 bulb beacon, and plowlights and heater running, I never had a problem. I'm sure i'm stressin :cry: that poor 80 amper but It has yet to fail.
  19. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

You have to remember that a 80 amp alternator is rated at a certain RPM. What hurts us plowing is the fact that a lot of the time we are at a low engine RPM, then in neutral, then in reverse, then in neutral.....etc. So that 80 amp alternator may be putting out 10 amps for a good part of the time. You could change pully sizes to effectively increase alternator RPM, just be shure that you don't overspeed the alternator at road speeds. The dual batteries will only help if you have a sufficent time between these low speed plow runs to bring the charge up on the dual batteries. Once they become discharged, the low output of the alternator is whats hurting you. Even if you had 3 or 4 large batteries, once they become discharged, it's still up to your alternator to supply the power. Remember power out must equal, or be less than power in, or the batteries will discharge.
  20. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Arc Burn

No joke :waving: Arc: You are right the stator does determine the output ability ;) And I'd bet a C-note that's what his friend meant payup