1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is my 03 missing some parts ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

After mounting the plow today i was ready to do some more.

My 02' came with a wiring harness and fuse for the brake controller, the 03' does not.
    And there is no light under the hood on the 03'.

Are these missing or did chevy change something ?

2. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I have an '03 Silverado 2500HD and an '03 Trailblazer LTZ. Neither one has an underhood light. I was shocked to see this.

I was even more shocked to see a freakin' prop rod on the Trailblazer. For crying out load! For what I paid for that thang it should have springs to hold up the hood! Those things are usually owned by women, and they're pretty tall. I asked someone who's about 5'2" to put up the prop rod and she couldn't do it. Just about could, but just a little too short or a little too short of a reach.

Imagine someone (like me) who has arthritis (bad in my shoulders) trying to hold up the hood and mess around with the prop rod. I know the hood's actually kinda short and all (shorter than our old '97 Blazer) and doesn't weigh all that much as other trucks, but when you have a vehicle that costs that much...!

Sorry to rant. Does GM offer any kits to install an underhood light? Cost?

OK, tougher question, does GM offer hood springs for Trailblazer? I doubt it, but I thought I'd ask. If they do, cost?

I remember seeing aftermarket hood spring kits for S-10 Blazers way back when I owned a couple of those. I should probably call ol' JCW, they have everything.

Thanks for listening. Later, dudes (OK, so I'm too old for that sort of language, but I can embarrass myself by trying, can't I?).

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2003
  4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

thanks GG.

I just read the brake controller pdf and that really sucks. Why the heck do they need to change stuff every other year. I guess stealing the parts off the 02 wasn't worth the time.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

This has been mentioned in a few other threads before, but I will repeat this again.

On all '03 Silverado, there are NO:

- under hood light
    - under dash light
    - brake controller wiring harness
    - brake controller fuse
    - 7 to 4 trailer plug adapter
    - trim on the sides of bed

You can order a trailer wiring harness kit from GM, BUT YOU MUST BE SURE THAT THIS KIT IS SPECIFICALLY FOR 2003 TRUCKS!!!!!!!

DO NOT USE the trailer wiring harness that is used on '01 and '02 trucks because the GM has changed the pins location in the dash on the 2003 trucks! If you do that, your brake controller will not work! One guy did not know about that until he went into a tunnel pulling a trailer, the auto headlights turned on which activates the brake controller, caused his trailer to brakes while he was driving in the tunnel. He had to step on his gas until he finally get out of tunnel and pulled out. This is because he used the '02 wiring harness on his '03 truck. It is because the pins has been switched which is GM stupid move. So be careful and make sure it is specifically for your 2003 truck!

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

GM is really dropping the ball i think my '97 inside is way better than the 03's i was looking at a 03 GMC with the diesel/allison combo listed for quite a bite more than my '97 but looked like it was lacking in the cab comfort an now alot of other stuff as WXMN6 has mentioned below.I lite to get less and pay more don't you :rolleyes:

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

wxmn6, The 2nd link I posted is a TSB about the trailer wiring & the pin change... Why they changed it is anyones guess.

Chevy's web site specificly lists:
    " Light, hood:
    – Underhood and cargo lamps "
    as a standard option on 2003 trucks.

If it was me I would print out the spec. sheet & make them install one. ;)
    http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/index.html
    Just click on the exterior specs....

Either Chevy's own web site is wrong or for some odd reason they simply forgot to install the under hood lights on all the trucks.

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HECK GUYS.................One of the fellas on the gm
    -truck.com site has a 03 with plow prep. He was
    going crazy trying to find the aux. light wires in the
    headliner. Only one was there. He found the relay
    by the seat belt anchor etc. and i gave him the
    Gm upfitter site with the instructions too.
    Turns out when he was stumped and took it to the
    dealer. GM didn't run ANY wires to the switch and
    only 1 wire up the headliner...........................geo

9. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

brake controller harness

ordered a brake harnes for my '03 yesterday. About $29.00 with tax. Yeah it sucks!

Here's what else is missing at least on my GMC. The manual lumbar support when you order captain chairs. This was a great feature for plowing or long trips. You can only get it with high end leather bucket option. Now if they did not run that light for my aux. switch, I won't be happy.

cat 320
    Still like the '03 HD though. HD is a little rougher than my 2000, but it is a truck. 2000 2500 rode like a Caddy. Got 'stuck' with a Lincoln on rental for a couple days. Only difference to the 2000 GMC was the Lincoln did not have 80 PSI in the rear tires and did not have the balls of the truck!

Pretty stupid of them to get rid of the little things, but I'd ride 1500 miles in this truck anyday. It is comfortable and has the right guts in my opinion.

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I looked at our dealership and asked a salesman....no underhood lights on anything, and caouldn't explain why there was not a brake control wiring included like the 01 and 02's.