1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is meyer better than other plows?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by birddseedd, Jan 17, 2014.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

I saw one today, the wings caught my eye. just like mine, but better. So i spend some time on their website and they seem to be pretty cool. I was especially impressed by the 5 year warranty. DD plows only warranty for 1 year, which seems kind of dumb to me.

sure wish there was a meyer dealer around here.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They've come a long way I like them. Espically the controllers

The guy that owns esitrucks has one on his. And he can have any plow he wants. I think that says something.

Meyer just had a bad rap cause of the e60. But I like those too they're simple to work on and cheap. But Youre always working on them lol

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What was wrong with the E60? That is an excellent pump. In my opinion Meyer is a great product. Their only downfall was not keeping up with the advancements in the industry. Just look at how many 30+ year old Meyer pumps and plow are still in use. I have an old St7.5 with E47 that I haven't used in 3 years and would bet if I hooked the plow up it would work just fine.

4. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I agree with you. People just give them a bad rap. Do a search on here everyone has been bad mouthing them since the 47

5. kimber750

Don't need to search it I have read them over the years. And alot of them never had a Meyer. And those that do own them are complaining about a 30 year old pump that has finally broke. They are by far the simplest pump to work on. Rebuild kits are cheap. And the dam things are everywhere. Only reason I switched to fisher is my dealer.

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I agree I have one

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed.

I've never had one so therefore I don't comment one way or the other.

8. birddseedd

Problem is the dealer here isn't open at night. Tho the western dealer doesn't seen to be open much either

Boss dealer is always open

9. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Love my E 60 , your right about dealer support..... The local boss dealer is open 24/7 when it snows

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Boss don't have chains. They have a cylinder . That's a whole foods there argument though lol

I like chain lifts

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Nah, its not so much the pump, as the plow itself. The problem with meyer plows -- at least older ones -- is the blade's ribbing. What they did, is they took the open face of a steel angle, and bent it into a curve to match the face of the plow. When they weld the skin onto the ribs, this creates unsealed, UNPAINTED, and INACCESSIBLE cavities, where salt water from the road can get into. This rusts like mad and kills both the rib and the skin in no time.

Aside from that MAJOR problem, I have no significant issue with meyer products.

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

DD products (Western, Fisher, Blizzard) are warrantied for two years. Just sayin...

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I started with a Myers many years ago in 2003 and basically had to rebuild the whole plow. It was a 7.5 poly blade that shattered one storm so I bought a steel mold board so I could add wings, shortly after that the right angel cylinder blew out, then the motor crapped out and had to have it rebut and lastly the control pad went bad. This was all in about 2 seasons of plowing. By the end of the 2nd season the mold board was rusted everywhere, motor started acting up again. In 06 I bought a new truck and a Fisher Extreme V and haven't looked back! A local dealer sells Fisher, Western and Myers and I remember him saying if he sells 2 Myers plows a season he's lucky. Like many said, they've come a long way or so they say. I think the 5 year warranty was to entice people to come back to Myers and put out some fires. So far the 06 Fisher Extreme V has needed 1 new hydraulic line and has worn through 3 cutting edges, thats it! We service them every season and spray FF on them to keep them looking new.

14. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

major problem? maybe, but when the plow still works like new with the ribs rotted out 40 years after it was built, it is not a major problem.

all plows have issues, and everyone has their favorites.

i use meyers plows because my first one was given to me 35 years ago for the hefty price of $75 complete with a 7.5 ft blade E-47 pump.
    i still have that plow on my 79 F-350, and the pump has never been apart.
    the plow on my 88 was put on new when i got the C-8 blade for free, it was abandoned on a friends property. it is close to 40 years old also. i paid $600 for the truck side frame and a brand new E-47. it is still on the truck and never been rebuilt.
    both the 02 and the 04 have C-8.5 blades i paid $200 each for.
    the 02 came with a frame, E-47 and a 7.5 blade when i got it, i sold the 7.5 and put the 8.5 on it.
    it got an E-60 on it after the truck was hit snapping the e-47 off.
    the frame and E-60 on the 04 was bought for $400 two years ago off craigs list.

15. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Kimber..... Agreed... There are more E-47's in use to this day, than any other pump combined..... Most are 20-30 years old... As meyer started to faze out the 47 with the introduction of the E-60 in 1991, and then the E-57 in 2001-ish. Btw, the E-60 which was developed by Fenner hydraulics for Meyer is a solid pump! Easy to work on, and fast! Although the ribs weren't the best idea... I still see 15+ year old ST and C series plows in service.. Meyer CEO Andrew outcalt has done some great things with meyer since 09 with the introduction of the Lot pros, super V, drive pros..etc.. New Power units..wesport

16. birddseedd

They told me 1 when I looked at one this year

17. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I have rebuilt over 300. Meyer pumps this year. From east coast to alaska.

Not one of them was younger than 15 years old. And most of them could have just used a part or two, but customers like them to look new.

Main problem i see with meyer pumps is that the mounting lug isn't replaceable. That would make life a lot easier.

18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe they read your threads on here, and figured that they'd better only give you one year...

But seriously, it's two years.

19. kimber750

:laughing::laughing:

20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Meyers are great if you like using 40 year old technology and engineering.