1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is MAGIC treatment worth it?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CPSS, Nov 11, 2003.

1. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

For all you who use, or have used MAGIC Salt treatment, is it worth it? I just got a delivery of 50 tons of salt, it's already in our shed. I was quoted $26 per ton to apply the MAGIC liquid to our salt. Thats $1300! I know the advantages of the product, Lower effective temperature (down to -34 degrees), lower application rates ( 30-50% less than regular salt), less corrosive than regular salt. I know it will require about 400 gallons, would it be better to buy the liquid and apply it ourselves?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

First off it wont work down to -34 degrees, more like 10 degrees in the real world. Once it gets real cold the surface will melt but them refreeze real quick. At those rates I would have a real hard time justifing the cost, however if the customer is sold on using a green friendly product, then you may have no choice. If the choice of product is strictly up to you, then I would say skip it.
    What is the material going to cost you to buy alone, usually the 3.00 per range is typical, so that would put you at 24.00 per ton plus application time and equipment.
    However pug mill treatment is the best method of application, just spraying the pile you will loose some material.
    Dino

3. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

I disagree with Dino. Let's do some math.... If you pay say $55 a ton for salt (going rate around here last year) and it cost you another $26 a ton to treat it that would make you costs about $81 a ton.

Now we found, through our own usage, that we used at least half the magic treated salt vs regular salt to get the same result. Ok...so now let's say you usually make two passes and spread 2 tons each. That's $220. We found one magic pass would give us the same, if not better results. So for the magic pass it is one single 2 ton pass. That is $162. Savings of about $58. Your savings will increase if your salt price increases. Only if you get salt really cheap does it not make sense to use magic salt.

Those are straight costs obviously. There are some factors to consider such as having a loader available to spray your piles, labor, etc. But you also have to balance that against your reduced labor, corrosiveness, environnmental and other similar expenses when plowing or salting longer. Plus you do get a much reduced freezing temp allowing salt to melt ice at lower temperatures. Any product will eventually re-freze when diluted, but magic treated salt will greatly outperform straight salt. Even if we use Dino's 10 degree figure as an example, that means that straight salt would melt approx 5 lbs of ice while magic (since it maintains salts effectiveness) would melt about 46 pounds. You can see where you would utilize less magic salt to get the same results.

We were able to get away with not plowing on a few events where we typically would have had to plow. One truck spreadings vs. three plowing and the magic result was a wet/black surface.

As a matter of fact one of our fellow contractors stopped by the other day and asked about it. He said that he couldn't figure out how last year he was getting to his similar site across the street earlier, but we were finished first and our results were better. He'll be using magic this year.

We had great results and wouldn't consider going through a winter without it. Ask your magic distributor to maybe only treat 25 tons and see how you like it.

4. CPSS, I've been trying to make the same decision this week. I have not found anyone in our area that has used magic. I think I'm going to try a smaller quantity and see for myself how well it works before go crazy with the stuff. Let me know how it works for you as the season progresses.

5. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Well after talking to the guy at Taconic, ( the MAGIC guy for this area) I found that I can buy the liquid for $107 per 55 gal drum if I supply the drums. $145 if we just pick it up in their drums, $165 per drum if they deliver 3 to us. I figure I need 8- 55 gal drums to do the salt we already have. Thats 3500 lbs of liquid to pick up at their plant ( about 2 hours away) and bring up to our shop. Thats $856 if we do all the work.........

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Be aware that Magic weighs something on the order of 10.5 lbs/gallon, so just be careful you have truck enough when you go to get it.

7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We've got a F-600 flatbed with a GVW of 24,000 lbs. I didn't realize MAGIC was 10.5 lbs per gal. I went with 8 lbs per gal. Thats a lot of weight! I'm looking for a Poly tank rather than 8- 55 gal drums.

8. CPSS
    What size tank are you looking for? I have some square poly tanks with a valve at the bottom and screw-on top. I believe that they are 250gal, but I could be wrong. They had calcium in them but I'm sure they would work well for magic.

9. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Matt, I check your PM's

10. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Just picked up 220 gallons of MAGIC today from Taconic Maint. Will be spraying half of the salt tomorrow.

11. HerkFE

HerkFE Member

Must have just missed you!

We were at Taconic's place getting some Caliber and other stuff. Maybe next time! Here's a pic of us doing about 100 tons the other day. We did another pile today also! People are starting to get ready for the white stuff!

Pete

pile.jpg