1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is magic salt good for airports

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sir spaniourd, Jan 8, 2006.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

is there any products that are safe for using in airports. i was told they can't use regular salt. any options?

2. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

we plow the hospital in town and it has a heliport. We are not allowed to use salt or sand. We just plow it and cause theres no traffic the circle bares off quick. I think I remember reading that they use a spray on airports

3. sir spaniourd

what about ice. How can you get rid of it?

4. sodking

sodking Member

Try using Urea. I understand that may be used at airports...

5. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There is a very small list of products that may be applied at aviation facilities due to potential damage to aircraft. Chlorides may not be used onany runway, taxiway, or ramp.Urea and Acetates are OK but are VERY expensive. (10x regular stuff)

6. Ian

Ian Member

The government has a manual for everything!

FAA Advisory Circular, AC 150/5200-30A ch2, Got it right here in front of me.

Fluid, must be glycol or potassium acetate based.

Solid, Urea technical (46-0-0 fertilizer), CMA (calcium magnesium acetate), sodium formate or sodium acetate.

Good luck finding any of it except for urea or CMA. Must be straight CMA. The avalanche product is salt with a small amount of CMA added, doesn't qualify for airside use.

The guide actually has some good info in it. The how and why of snow and ice bonding to pavement and how to prevent it or get rid of it.

7. sir spaniourd

Thank you guys.

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I have photos of Oshkosh trucks with frame mounted sanders plowing airports.. if they were salting or sanding, I don't know.

9. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

We use CMA on our hangers that we maintain at the Louisville, Ky airport. Expensive, but it works and FAA approved.

10. dssxxxx

dssxxxx Member
    from NJ

Good info.

The avalanche is +90% sodium chloride with less than 2% CMA.

In the Northeast, we have found that the smaller airports are using urea. If they can afford the sodium acetate, they will use urea. Sodium formate is very dusty and is not used at various airports because of the dust. The liquids are correct.

CMA is used for concrete that is 2 years old or less. CMA is produced primarily for new concrete. I personally do not know of any airports that are using or require CMA (unless they have a new concrete issue).

Sodium acetate is used by the larger airports but the cost is very expensive. Sodium acetate is used at Westchester, Kennedy, LaGuardia, Newark and the Washington, DC airports.