1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Liquid right for me?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chandlerarms, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

We own a condo complex (65 parking spaces). We plow and salt our lot. Currently we use a snowex 575 salter and bagged salt. I like the idea of the effectiveness of liquid brine, but don't want the complexity of storing/mixing or having a complex set up for the truck. Is their a simple "plug and play" set up out there that would be worth some added complexity? I realize there will be added complexity, but i cant be a chemist, or store hundreds/thousands of gallons of liquid. Is there such a set up?

I was looking at one of the Snowex walk behind sprayers to maybe use in the pedestrian walk areas to make sure they are as clear as possible, and continue to use salt in the general parking lot? We have 4 entrances to the building tenants use. Does that make sense? Or just stick with old fashioned rock salt?

thanks!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

In all honesty, if you don't have a way to store it or buy it local stick with rock salt. We're fortunate enough to have 2 suppliers but going to fill up after every storm was a pain! We bought a 3000 gallon storage tank last year and it's been great for convenience and capacity. Our tanks are 300 gallons each and it doesn't go as far as people think. As far as a truck set up...you could just go with a gravity fed system which work just fine or put something electric or gas motor together, Gravity system will run you around 500 bucks or so and an electric set up will be around 3500-4500 and gas about the same.

3. Digger63

Digger63 Member

start small

if your doing a lot of walks and stairs you could start with a simple backpack sprayer. See if there is a supplier nearby that sells even a simple salt brine liquid to try.As silly as it sounds I have people who started with 5 gallon containers show up for treated liquid because in their condos they are responsible for the walks and stairs while someone else takes care of the roads

4. Chandlerarms

Chandlerarms Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. We wouldn't be against some storage on site. Just that it can't be to complicated. Ideally if we could store enough for a few "events" and have a dealer close by to purchase product or refill the tank (Trying to find dealers in the Windsor, Ont area). Any suggestions on a set up 250 gal or so?

Would it be worth it to try the Snowex walk behind for the entrance ways to see how well it works?

Thx!