1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is liquid calcium slippery?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Frosty123, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Junior Member
    from wv

I am considering adding a liquid calcium chloride sprayer to my snow and ice removal equipment. I have a few concerns. Is the movement of the liquid in the tanks a concern while driving and stoping on slick roads? If there is light accumulation on the road or packed snow from plowing, will liquid calcium make the road slippery? How does this work? Most of my accounts probably aren't interested in pre treating. I currently use bulk salt.

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you need to talk them into pre-treat.....that's where the liquid's really shine.

you can pre-wet youre salt and cut the useage back about 20-30% in most condition's.

i have herd some people say that you can cut youre usage 80% :rolleyes:......the only way that is possible is if you average the whole year's salt consumption provideing that you pre-treat with liquid only,

PJ

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

PJ, i heard there was a really informative experts at a local liquid training a few weeks ago, ....mayeb before ppl ask about these questions they should have considered signing up?..... then again , maybe not -

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

....:drinkup:......

5. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I just got my 500 gallon spray unit on friday. the tank is a leg tank which is suppose to cut down on the sloshing. I asked him about baffel balls - he said they work but a cheaper way to do it is to use some perforated sewer pipe and cut them into the longest pieces you can fit into the tank. We sold everyone on pre treating.

6. powerjoke

yeah i herd, i wished i would have had the chance to make it.

pj

7. turboguy

turboguy Member

Personally I don't think a leg tank will do much to cut down on sloshing. The liquids in the legs won't slosh much but for the biggest part of the tank it would slosh as much as an oval tank or any tank.

Cutting perforated pipe might help a bit but you would displace much more liquid than baffle balls would and I am guessing you are laying them lenghwise which is not going to help with the sloshing unless you basically fill up the whole tank with them. Even then the liquid can still move front to back if they are lenghwise.

The same goes for baffle balls. To be effective you need to fill the tank completely. Most baffle balls are just under 16 inches and for most baffle balls the formula to compute how many you need is .075 x tank size. In other words a 300 gallon tank would take 22 of them. Usually around 1% of the liquid capacity is lost which is pretty minor. To fill a 300 gallon tank with baffle balls would cost less than $ 300.00 which to me is a better option than fooling with the pipe.

8. powerjoke

the worst thing about the baffle balls is you have to have a 15" opening to get them into.... and the smaller tank's, dont.

i dunno how many is in mine but i would say there is 40-50 in there, it is full......one of the guy's from the local fire dept was saying one day how they were going to have to weld baffles into thier tanker,......'till i showed him the baffle balls :D it is a 3,000 gallon tanker so it cost a bunch of money, but as far as i know it worked great.

the only drawback to baffle ball's etc. is.....i cant use them in my farm sprayer's, cause i cant rinse the tank completely, they hold some chem........if i was running round-up and then wanted to change to liquid fertilizer.....it would be pretty devistating to me if i goofed up and killed 300 acres of grass lol.

PJ

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Are baffle balls anything like wiffle balls?

Wish I knew someone knowledgeable on liquids, guess I should have gone down to that meeting in Ohio.

10. powerjoke

show's what you know :rolleyes: lol

there much bigger, and black...you know kinda like our new president :rolleyes: ,......but there kinda shaped liek a wiffle, and look like a wiffle...........well i guess to answe youre Q'...yeah lol

i wonder if anyone learned anything at the liquid training......havent seen any new poster's lol

PJ

11. Trim God

Trim God Junior Member

I learned Applebee's has cold beer....ha ha

12. powerjoke

;)

and hot waitresses :D

pj

13. Trim God

Trim God Junior Member

Rons face is still red

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL Thanks guys

15. turboguy

turboguy Member

Here is a picture of a baffle ball.

PJ, I think if you wanted to use them in your farm sprayer and wanted to use the farm sprayer for something else it wouldn't take too long to pull them back out again.

baffle_MVC-011S.jpg