1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is Liquid Calcium same as Liquid Magic?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Subseven, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Subseven

Subseven Member

As the title says...we're wondering what the differences are between liquid calcium and Liquid Magic are. We basically know what Liquid Magic does and how it's used.

We run a decent commercial operation and are thinking about adding it to our arsenal and becoming a dealer too. We are near the Albany, NY area. We've even tossed around the idea of becoming a distributor.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Digger63

Digger63 Member

liquid calcium is often used with the towns and other government agencies as a pre wet liquid sprayed on salt as it comes out of the sanders. It is used to lower the working temp of salt by creating a chemical type heat for the salt to keep working in low temps, there is no organic element in it. I think the magic liquid is a mix of Magnisium chloride and some organic element.

3. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

IBG Magic Liquid is a highly effective liquid de-icing agent made from a patented blend of magnesium chloride combined with an agricultural by-product of the distilling process (i.e. grain and/or sugar based) and is protected under U.S. patent #4,676,918. No other liquid ice melter can make this claim.

http://ibgmagic.com/ibg-magic-liquid/

Different chemicals

Liquid Magic is however safer for the environment because it is not calcium chloride based, making it also lest corrosive.

4. Digger63

Digger63 Member

Are you confused yet?

I don't know if your answer was what you wanted. All I can say is that all deicer people use the same format as salesmen for Fords, Chevy, and Dodge. When it comes to deicers your best bet is to try different ones and see which one or two works best for you. There are all out there and each has it's own plus and minus.

5. Subseven

Subseven Member

Thanks. That's good info right there. I am wondering what other options we have for pre-wetting our areas before the snow hits with a spray bar also. We have big accounts. We are also considering becoming a dealer.

I called Liquid Magic and their rep couldn't even call me back. Instead he forwarded my number (without my permission) to his dealer which has a HUGE territory. Now we know the dealer...great guy...and still an option. Asking questions about our accounts though....:nono:

However, if a dealer spreads it too...they're a contractor plain and simple. They can regulate pricing in their area and corner the market by underbidding who they sell too. In that case, the manufacturer should open up the territory to more "dealers" so they can move more product.

I see the same thing going on in the sealcoating world with Copeland and a couple of "dealers" they sell too that underbid the chit out of everybody. Devalues the work and drives prices down.

Anyway...we're exploring all of our options.

6. Subseven

Subseven Member

Looking forward to some calls . :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Calcium and mag are both very corrosive.

Accucon, if you're selling Magic as less corrosive because of the mag you may want to learn quite a bit more about your product and what keeps it from being so corrosive.

Do some research and get back to us. I can tell you the answer but that wouldn't be any fun. Learn your product.

As for the patent, who cares? It's like saying you have a patent on rock salt.

One more question, if mag is less corrosive, why has it been banned in some states?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

IBG Magic Granular is safer to use on concrete, is less corrosive, may not harm curbside grassed areas or plants, and continues to melt ice to below -35F° if used as directed.

magnesium chloride, msds
    Incompatibilities with Other Materials:
    Attacks metals in the presence of moisture.A pH of 7.0 means a solution is considered acidic.
    Chloride (Cl-) and magnesium (Mg+2) are both essential nutrients important for normal plant growth. Too much of either nutrient may harm a plant, although foliar chloride concentrations are more strongly related with foliar damage than magnesium. High concentrations of MgCl2 ions in the soil may be toxic or change water relationships such that the plant cannot easily accumulate water and nutrients. Once inside the plant, chloride moves through the water-conducting system and accumulates at the margins of leaves or needles, where dieback occurs first. Leaves are weakened or killed, which can lead to the death of the tree.

IBG Magic Liquid is a highly effective de-icing agent made from a patented blend of magnesium chloride and condensed distiller solubles. It is non-toxic, bio-degradable and has a corrosion index lower than distilled water.

A pH of 7.0 means a solution is considered acidic.
    magnesium chloride, msds
    Warning!
    Causes eye and respiratory tract irritation. Hygro
    scopic (absorbs moisture from the air).
    Skin:
    May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
    Ingestion:
    Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Maybe harmful if swallowed.
    Inhalation:
    Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
    Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain
    and increased white blood cell count. May be harmful if inhaled.
    Chronic:May cause kidney damage.
    :dizzy:

the rest of the story.