1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth the $$$$$

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by willofalltrades, May 31, 2006.

1. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

I came across a 1987 Ford F250. It is a regular cab with the XLT up fit. It comes with the heavy duty front springs and 4.10 gears in the back; Of coarse it is a 4x4. It also has the 6.9L International diesel motor and a automatic transmission. The motor has around 120,000 miles and the truck has 106,000 miles. It has a newer transmission and all new front-end parts including u-joints, ball joints, and brakes. Is it worth the $5000 that is wanted for it? would you suggest the 5.8L instead? It would be used for light landscape work and hopefully plowing a hospital. Opinions please, Thanks -Will

p.s I heard the rear main seals go a lot, and the weight of the diesel motor mixed with the snow plow tears the front-end up is that true?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am not an expert, but here it goes: The 6.9 diesel engine is not the most reliable, especially with the glow plugs. It is a lug of an engine, but with the right plow and not beating on it you would be OK. Personally, if you are not set on a Ford, I would go with a Chevy or GMC 2500, but if you are set on a Ford F250 and your only other choice is the 5.8, I would go with that. I had a 5.8 Windsor in a 1996 F150 and loved that engine. It is a good engine. Then again, that is a gas hog. I would venture that this truck is not worth $5000 that is one thing that is for sure. Just some thoughts. OH, and welcome to plowsite!:waving:

3. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

Thanks for the information. I believe the glow plugs were just replaced. I was told the motor used was origionally a tractor motor and that it didn't belong in the truck. I am going to pass this one up and look into a F150 with a inline 6 motor. I was raised in a Ford family so that is what I want but if a decient dodge comes a long I wont hesitate.

4. DeereFarmer

That inline 6 is a good motor from what I hear. With a standard trans it is real powerful. Good luck in your search.

5. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

I'm thinking of selling my F250 to get a F550. It is a 1997 Ford F250Hd XLT (Power windows, locks, etc) with 104,000 miles on the chassis. The engine and tranny only have 1000 miles on it and are both under warranty. I have performance headers and catback exhaust on the truck as well. The suspension was just went through and many pieces were replaced. All brand new u-joints. Tires only have about 3000 miles on them. It has a 7.5ft meyers poly plow with saber lights. It also has a backrack, tool box, and strobe light. No rust at all, runs like new.

PM me if you're interested.

6. willofalltrades

willofalltrades Member

ok I don't know about my PM its all messed up and won't let me send any, so please PM me info about it. Thanks

7. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

You have PM's turned off.

Feel free to just email me at: mcamaglia@gmail.com

8. DeereFarmer

You need 35 posts to turn them on I think.