1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth the investment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

How many put new plows on older trucks,i.e. 1998 Dodge Ram 2500.I bring this up not because my plow, aMYER 7.5 E47 ST rated as a personal plow, is'nt working but as the accounts grow I want to be reassured of it working when I need it .Or just keep the current plow going.Another question, is a lighter plow better on the wear and tear of the vechicle life or is this insignificant.My plow is definantly a light plow but generally speaking I am doing mainly driveways.Third, what is the best plow for driveways only if you were buying new.Dave.
  2. jseasonal

jseasonal Junior Member

buy western!
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Western pro plus. You just can't break them. I have used and owned all of them.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have a 1988 GMC with a Western pro plow on it. The plow was new when the truck was. I take care of my stuff pretty well but this plow still works great and although it may not look like new it is still holding up with very few problems over the years.

Control cable broke-expected
    Hose burst=expected
    Coupling leaks-expected

The boss I have on my Dodge is also a great plow but is 10 years newer. Overall I guess go with what you can find a good deal on.

I will say also that the blade is thicker on the Western Pro than on the Boss SD.

As far as putting new on old? You can interchange the plow if you sell the truck and I am looking at a new one now for my 98.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i had a gmc with a meyer stl 7.5 and ive plowed comm. with it for five years, held up great, and never had to replace ball joints on my truck!!!! i still wish i had my 2000 gmc. it plowed just like a heavy plow. the only thing that it didnt do well was back drag, but my 9' fisher doesnt back drag any better...payup
  6. go plow

go plow Senior Member

as far as putting a new plow on a older truck, ive installed a 7.7 ultra mount on a 88 chevy 3/4 ton, i used it ,made money with it, as stated ubove, if your going to put the plow on the next truck you buy, its fine, but make sure you get a truck that it can mount too...right now my ex-partner is trying to sell the old girl, as buy a ultra mount and get a truck free. lol
    my point is youll never get you money back..... also ive looked into putting that plow on the dodge we bought, by the time you buy all of the mounting and the wire harness, mount/dismount time, you might as well get a new plow !!!
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would put a lightly used commercial grade plow on a truck. You probably save around 1k and who cares about some wear on the edge and some paint wear.If you can do the install yourself you can save even more!
    Lighter duty stuff wears out quicker and needs more welding and parts replaced. If you work it hard, your better off to buy / install heavy duty stuff. Down time costs more money then having the correct equipment for the volume of work.
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Man i would go with a blizzard , maybe an 810, I dont see any other way to go. Im converting all mine this year..
  9. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

oh and join SIMA :rolleyes:
  10. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

old trucks and new plows?

Hey, that's nothing, a while back I put a Myers ST-78 on a 1947 Willys CJ 2A, 4 cyl, 68 horsepower, with a belt driven Monarch HY-LO lift with power angle. It was flawless, and never caused me any problems.

I would do it again today if I needed to.

It is the operator that makes the difference in equipment. Just like a good coach, the right operator can coax his equipment to produce the best work with a minimal amount of injuries to the team.