1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth subing out liquid/salt applications?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jvm81, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I was approached today by a magic aslt dealer. He wants my sanding accounts for a % therefore using his magic salt or liquid product. I have the a sander already but maybe it worth it and maybe not. I do know though that the magic is expensive - even if you have bare concrete - that is a hard sell for people. I like there salt but at $150 a ton is little high.
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Only you can do the math on this one because only you know your numbers.

Are you going to make money or spend money having him do the spreading?
  3. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Here is his deal. Magic salt dealer wants clients. He told me a lot charged at $50 for him, I bill for $100. Easy money, maybe!
  4. deereequipment

deereequipment Member

But then you have no control.
    Your property might need to be treated right away, but he can't get there for a couple of hours, because he has other properties to do first.

too much liability with snow removal. I don't sub anything out.
  5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Only you know

Only you know if it makes sense. What sounds good on the surface sometimes doesn't work out the way we think it will. I think if I were going to sub anything out it would be the plowing, not the de-icing work.

I like to fill my SnowEx spreaders up and keep them busy. I make more out of the back of my truck than I ever do on the front. Plowing is good, but de-icing is great.

Not that either way is right or wrong, just think out the options. If you are going to sub out to him for the ice melter, bid your jobs accordingly.

Good luck!
  6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

100% agree with Wayne.

Sub plowing, NEVER NEVER salting.

1 you do because you have too, 1 you do because you like the money and it pays for the toys.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

if he's making money @ $50 on your $100 lot then you could make at least the same if you spread magic salt probably more. The product runs farther than salt or sand/salt so you make less trips to load up. a lot of people forget the load/trip time in the equation of how "expensive" it is.
  8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Just think of next year, when your customers contact him directly due to the advertising on the trucks... Then you will just be earning the snow plowing money.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the spreader already and the time to do it how could he do it cheaper then you? If you had no means of salting and no time then I would look into him doing the work for you.
  10. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I thought about it, read you comments and going with inital feeling - maybe buying product from him but doing it ourselves.