1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is it worth renting a loader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

New cat dealer in town and they want business. I could easliy go after larger work but is it worth the rental rate of a wheel loader and pusher (they use artic). I have trucks and plows, skid wih blower and skid with kage pusher for small / medium lots but I am about maxed on accounts/timeframe to get things done already. And I have one guy in town with a cat 928 and pro tech pusher who only charges per push......no one is talking on what they pay him.....how to figure that out? That is charge per push.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like u need a seasonal to help control cost.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I guess it depends if you want to grow, if you can pick up more accounts, your current account structure (seasonals vs per push), how good the rental rate is, etc. Its a personal call, useing large heavy equipment requires a different mindset somewhat, greatly decreases abuse to trucks, etc.

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You can usually buy far cheaper than renting with good terms and then you have the asset.

If your winter work can make the year round payments then any summer work is gravy.

But I would do seasonal, not hourly on big machines. It will also show how valuable they are on commercial as opposed to trucks.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

True..good thought