1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirt digger, Nov 15, 2005.

1. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

I’ve been given the opportunity to buy a 1997 F-250 Heavy Duty with a Power Stroke dirt cheap off my boss. The truck has about 105,000 miles on it but it is in fairly decent shape. It is used to pull skid loaders and tractors but since it was his personal truck it hasn’t been beat up on too hard. The only thing is I would end up selling my truck and making this truck my daily driver. I am skeptical about the miles; I don’t usually like buying anything with over 80,000 on it. What do you guys think I should do?

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Worrried about the miles? You ever browse ebay? theres powerstrokes with 200-300 thousand miles on them. Only thing that you'd hafta look at is the suspension, but since it was only used to tow, front suspension should be all good. I wouldn't have a single doubht about 105,000 miles on a powerstroke.

3. dirt digger

I guess I should point out too that it is the 4 speed plus overdrive, so sometimes it had difficulty shifting into gears. You have to push the clutch clear to the floor when that happens. But that may only happen 1 out of every 20 gear changes.

4. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Junior Member

Whats dirt cheap?

If you did your research and you are getting it below private sale value, then by all means go for it. That powerstroke is not going to let you down, but you gotta keep on top of the regular fluid changes. Factor in a rebuilt transmission (assuming that may be an issue) and if you are still below private sale, then do it.

IMO 200k miles is nothing to blink at on these engines. You maintain them, they pay you back in spades. Not for nothing, but a modern gas engine that is maintained and not beat on will give you well over 100k of service too.

Good luck and enjoy!

[​IMG]

5. dirt digger

"dirt cheap" is under 10K. The truck is setting outside his shop, he's not advertising it, but he will take best offer until Thanksgiving. If the truck is not sold by thanksgiving he would sell it to me. He really isn't looking to turn a profit. He depreciated it and is using it as a write off.

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

My father-in-law has a 2001 F250 PSD with 260,000 on it and still going

7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Has sanyone checked the oil level in the transmission?

8. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

I love my truck, Go the TheDieselStop.com some time and brows around, in the forms. Theres alot you can do aswell. I have a 188,000 and my truck will out run alot of others. I will never buy a gasser again. just my .02:waving:

9. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

DIESEl...buy it, you can't go wrong...:drinkup: