1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

is it worth it? and if so how should i go about it

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nextdoorlabor, Dec 10, 2005.

1. nextdoorlabor

nextdoorlabor Junior Member

Hi everyone. Im going to get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup to tow a car trailer around with in the spring. After i get my use out of it through the summer, i was wondering if maybe i should install a plow to use in the winter. However, i am an 18 year old college student (Rutgers University New Brunswick) and dont have the time to manage my own business duing the plowing season with the amount of school work i have. I was wondering: what is the easiest way to go about making money in the winter? could i just ask around at local companies and try to work as an employee and not have to worry about getting my own commercial insurance? If i were to be a subcontractor would i have to have my own insurance as opposed to being just an employee? I've been doing driveways with a snowblower in my hometown for some years now, but i cant drive all the way back every snowstorm so i figured plowing locally would be a good alternative. any advice on this? i would appeciate any help you could give. thanks alot
  2. jbone

jbone Senior Member

well Im just as new to this as you are. I am also in college and have another full time job. I plan on getting into plowing next year. If I were you go with sub contracting for someone hopefully who can understand your limitations with school. If you get your own contracts and cant make it b/c of classes youll lose your customers quick and get a bad name for yourself. If you cant get anyone to subcontract for that can help work with your scheduling you may be better off not getting into the business at least until you are done with school... Again this is only my opinion and I am also a newbie but it only makes sense.
  3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I have a 3/4 ton Suburban that I've been using to tow my race car in the warmer months and plow in the winter. I do sub work for a few people, works great around my schedule since they know it's not my only source of income.
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

In Montana, to qualify as a true subcontractor, you must have your own commercial ins policy and provide your own equiptment. I would'nt ever go out either as a subcontractor, or on my own without insurance. As an employee, you may be able to set up your equiptment under your employers insurance, but I believe you still have to carry at least your own automotive liability policy. Good Luck
  5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i am also a college student at nova and i have 15 driveways and do bussiness lots...the thing i do is no matter if im sick or dying i will be in class just in case it snows...my professiors know i wont be there if it snows i am on a good relationshipwith them and i also plow 2 of their driveways....so i save my missed classes for those days..now if its snows at night and i can make it to class ill tell u what i am the 1st one there...if im out plowing i might stop in to class then go hit a few more drives after class if i only have one or two to get done...u make it work just like i did...i had a 102 fever one day i was in class then went home and slept all weekend...good thing it was on a friday lol but you make it work...in highschool i subed and drove someone elses truck alot better b.c if i missed school i wasnt payin for it already got into college so it didnt bother me much lol...i say get 5-10 drives a used plow set up make some cash in college and then when ur out of college get into it more...it works out....i work myself into the ground between my landscape company and plowing and school...i have no social life...just get ur ducks in a line and go for what u think is right