1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it worth anything? 1998 Chevy 2500 4x4

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by secret_weapon, Sep 9, 2011.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I want to sell my 1998 Chevy 2500 Silverado 4x4, reg cab long box. Black ext. Gray int., push button 4wd. 5.7l, Trans replaced last winter. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires middle last winter.
    As far as I know everything works. Bad part is the frame is cracked left side in front of the control arm. Driver door big dent and rear bumper banged up pretty bad.
    I was thinking around $2500, what do you guys think? I'll get pics up soon.
    The Boss bracket does not come with it.
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

maybe $500 for scrap i mean im not trying to be an a$$hole but i dont think anyone is gonna buy gor $2500 plus insurance wont insure it and if someone gets hurt driving it
    it falls back on you uless some uses it for parts.
  3. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

Frames cracked how bad? That'd be the biggest thing, but even if it was just starting I don't see 2500 dollars Maybe 600 or a bit more if the rest of the truck was really nice
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on frame crack, I had an issue with my 99 in the very from of frame where plow mounts it rotted, I had it plated(repaired) for $400, the new steel is thicker than original. I guess it depends on the damage, etc once trucks get to that age, I have seen that vintage truck on here & guys are asking $ 8-9K. It all depends
  5. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

get some pics and let me see how bad its crackd I would be interested, I dont know about 2500 but that really depends on how rough it is.
  6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Not that I would use a truck with a repaired frame but I have seen several done correct and used for years after the repair
  7. Send me some pics and I might want to pick it up. As I need a parts truck in that body style.
  8. secret_weapon

Thanks guys, I really don't know what it would be worth. $2500 was a starting figure. I've got 2000 invested in the trans. Almost new 235/85r16 tires that are dedicated snows.
    I was thinking of welding the frame and stating a disclaimer that it should not be used as a plow truck. It would be good for hauling a trailer or a salter in the back.
    I'm looking at another truck and may trade it in.
  9. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Why not plate it and keep it as a back up you are not gonna get what u have in it
  10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I am looking for truckside Boss complete for that exact truck. Let me know if you want to sell it seperate from the truck.
  11. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

there are several ways to fix chevys with broken frames ( learned this first hand ) pm me with more info
    i might be interested
  12. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

Would love pics. Interested for sure.
  13. secret_weapon

Here are some pics.
    I've been thinking more and more about welding the frame before I get rid of it. I guess I'd feel better inside. I dont have room to keep as a back up, would make a great truck for pulling a landscape trailer.
    All brake lines were replaced before last winter with the kind that don't rust. Like I said, I'll see what dealer gives me on trade. If the drivers door wasn't damaged and rusting on the bottom, the body would be really nice.
    Oh yea, the A/C works, so that's gotta be worth something.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  14. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

All GM trucks are noted for cracked frames in that area right up to the present year, the 1500, 2500 and even the 3500. The new 2011 and up have new frames so the may hold up better. Cracked frame would not bother me at all, simple fix. Google it or look over at dieselplace.com and see how many have cracked frames.
  15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Any thoughts?
  16. secret_weapon

Where are you located? Just the truckside mount, I'm keeping the harness. $250
  17. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

Im interested but would want truck side with it
  18. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

get me some more pics

19. secret_weapon

I won't be able to get more pics till Monday. I'll post more details about the truck also when pics are posted.
    I can say it has a 2" body lift, driver door dented pretty good and rusty, power windows work.
    Passenger door getting rusty at bottom, not very noticeable from outside but can easily be seen with door open inside. The cab corners are not rusted out, paint chipped off and light surface rust. Tailgate rusted at bottom which is most noticeable with gate open. Does not have bedliner, bed is scratched with some dents inside and light suface rust. Has dual batteries, 180 amp alternator from DB Elcetrical.
    It's getting pretty rusty on the bottom looking under truck.
  20. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

is it legal to sell a truck with a cracked frame in ohio? I know in NJ if you want to sell a truck with a cracked frame (even if repaired) you must have a notarized bill of sale stating that plus the title signed and you must go through a whole different specialized inspection process to get the car reregistered after it is repaired. If the seller does not disclose the cracked frame and you find it within 5 days of receipt of the vehicle, you get your money back... go ahead ask me how i know :) haha