1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Is it true that the old plow frames are or will be illegal in MASS?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scitown, Dec 14, 2007.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Im not sure what they are called but I think everyone knows what I mean. The un- removable truck side mounts. Just wondering because a few trucks I am looking at have nice blades but the Old style fishers. Thought maybe it wasn't a good Idea to buy something I can't use. Thanks ps. The f250 I looked at was a bust. Thanks for the help.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They are grandfathered on any truck before 1994. Unless Mass is doing something the Feds aren't.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I would like to know more about this. Is it the old conventional type that the lights and everything stay on the truck, or what? Is there any sort of link?

4. scitown

scitown Senior Member

So any truck I buy that is pre 94 that has the old style, Im fine? Didn't know it was a fed thing thought it was just us on the wacky east coast.

5. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

WHAT??????

Can some one explain or provide a link??:help:

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I've heard the same thing that you are fine if you are pre-1994. It's because the Feds. think that there is more of a chance of injury with plow headgear on the front. I can see where they are coming from because you could go right into someone's windshield with it, but i think they are going a little overboared. Getting hit by a 5,000 lb. or more truck is not going to be fun no matter what.

7. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Whats everyone want a link for? We are just talking here. I heard a rumor that they were to become illegal. If you want I can hook you up with my buddy Joeys' phone number and you can here the rumor from him...hows that for a link? I did talk to someone that installs plows and truck after market stuff, he said that it was talked about for years but they dont inforce it around here. Maybe it is enforced elsewhere. My friend was saying that all the town and city trucks switched over to the new mount system when they first talked about banning them. Then it never really went anywhere. Who knows...

8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The reason for the link is merely for educational purposes. I can count a hundred instances where we have talked about things, even to extent, and then when a link comes up with all the facts, we learn twice as much from it. The reason I asked, is because I did a search, and came up with absolutely nothing on it.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why do you think all the manufacturers went to the new mounts? And yes the old style Kills people the plow head gear punches through the side window and hits people in the head. 10 MPH is enough. In MA we had a mother jailed in a minor accident that way. I think She T-boned at 15 MPH, just burst the skull open.

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

ohhh

I thought everyone was asking ME for a link. If I had a link I wouldn't be asking the question. So yes...We demand a link!!! Sucks that the lady had her skull crushed, Im going to guess if Im using this truck without the plow I will be pulling a trailer and it would only crush her chest and kill her. Oh well. Sorry for this fantastic thread.

11. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

There are so many things that you can mount to your truck that could make it worse for the other person in an accident. I'm not saying it's not a good idea, it's just that a winch mount, brush guard, aftermarket bumper, etc.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/index.html

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckBBAS/non-html/1999/41_44.pdf

These standards include: FMVSS 105 Suspension, handling and braking, 108 Lighting standards, 204 Crash testing of the steering column, 208 Crash testing for occupant safety, 212 Crash testing for windshield integrity, 301 Fuel systems in a crash.

The complete text of all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and other NHTSA regulations can be found in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Title 49 of the CFR is published in seven volumes, the fifth volume (Parts 400-999) is where these regulations can be found.

Enjoy the reading.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  13. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

as opposed to getting hit by the truck with the plow on?

This makes no sense.

14. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

I just had my trucks go thru Mass. inspection (regular sticker-type thing) in October and the guy at the shop I brought it to said he is supposed to fail me for having the headgear on each truck. One is a 1988, the other is an '89. He also said the hitch has to be out of the receiver on the back of the trucks if I'm not actually pulling something. (I think that has more to do with him whacking his shin on it while doing the visual inspection).
    He passed both trucks, but just gave me the heads-up.
    On the other hand, I have also heard for years that you can't buy a non-Minute-Mount style plow for exactly the reasons stated above.
    It's probably something to do with our fine state government sending out a notice to the inspection places to actually look at this stuff this year. Remember when they tweaked the State Police and made them pull over every landscape trailer and make sure you didn't have gas cans on the back? A bee gets in someones bonnet about something, and let's face it, tickets are a huge revenue source for this state.
    Later,
    Chris

15. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

They meant that getting hit by a full-size truck in july or august with no plow is supposedly less severe to the car driver than the same truck with just a plow frame on it.
    Chris in Boston

16. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

17. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Not an arbitrary decision- A few years back, I also had to remove my hitch or the guy was going to fail me. Took some banging but I got it out. Makes sense to me, it's a hazard for anyone walking around the back of the truck, including the owner. Banged myself on mine quite a few times in the dark and it wasn't fun. He let my old Western plow setup go due to the age of the truck. So I had the same experience as you except I think you were lucky the guy let you pass without taking out the hitch.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

19. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Thanks Mick!! I looked for a few hours in the last couple days and couldn't find anything. Thank you

20. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Notice that as usual state and municipal vehicles are exempt.